Bts Losing Speed

Kay Dee

Started testing yesterday using BTS version 1.2.91 between 2 servers 100 miles apart

Established direct connection between 2 static IP addresses/ports

Enabled NAT UPnP

For the first 24 hours, I was seeing transfer speeds of 55 - 70 MB/s - Perfect!

Multiple successful 1-way synchs of 40GB -  150 GB folders (stored VMs) from Server 1 to Server 2

For the past 5 hours - transfer speeds have dropped down to less than 1MB/s-2 MB/s max

ISP confirms that  they do NOT throttle down BitTorrent ...(I tested BTS in Aug 2013, and found the same situation - good speed between same 2 peers for 24 hours or so, then dropped down to less than 1MB/s - talked to ISP then. Decided to wait for new version and uninstalled BTS)

Server 1:

W2012R2

192G RAM

11 TB free space

CPU - 1%

Memory - 32%

Server 2:

W2012

64G RAM

3 TB free space

CPU - 21%

Memory - 14%

Any suggestions of what I can look at doing to get the speeds back up to what they were yesterday? BTS would be the perfect solution for quickly seeding a new full backup copy to the 2nd server...the incremental off-site backups are fine for regular network transfer.

ISP confirms that  they do NOT throttle down BitTorrent

Is that the specific wording they've used?

Even if they're not limiting - in their words - "BitTorrent" traffic, do they employ ANY form of traffic management/throttling/shaping on their network? i.e. at peak times and/or if you exceed a certain amount of downloaded/uploaded data in any given period of time - irrespective of what "type" of traffic/data it is!

Even if they don't employ ANY form of traffic management/throttling/shaping on their network, it may be that your ISP's network does not have the available capacity/bandwidth at peak times to provide maximum up/down speed to all subscribers in your area.

Either way, if you've not "rate limited" your up/down speeds in Sync itself, then Sync will always strive to transfer data at the maximum possible speeds it can - but these speeds are generally determined by external factors outside of Sync's control.

Did you checked how much memory BTS is using while the transfers are slow versus the memory consumption when the transfer is acceptable?

I didn't try with W2012R2 but I got a lot of trouble with W2008R2 and it feel's like you are experiencing the same behavior.

On my case, the more BTS eats memory the less transfer speed I get.

See my observation regarding this issue:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/28165-possible-memory-leak-windows-2008-r2-with-rw-share/

The only workaround I have right now is to restart BTS via schedule task at each 12 hours so it reset the memory consumption and keep the transfer speed acceptable.