Deeply Nested Subfolders

basilh

It's not altogether clear how BTSync deals with deeply nested subfolders and long file names that exceed the maximum path length of different systems. For instance, I'm syncing between my Android mobile, tablet, Windows, Ubuntu and Apple clients and a BTSync server under FreeNAS. Each OS has a maximum path length that, with a shallow directory structure and reasonably short filenames, are unlikely to cause an issue. However, with deep folders and long filenames, the chances of exceeding the maximum path length are higher. Several questions arise:

1. How does BTSync deal with maximum path length issues?

2. Should something be tabled in the FAQ guide on maximum path length for different OS's?

3. Does the BTSync sending or receiving app flag an attempt to exceed the maximum path length when syncing between systems?

On Windows, Sync uses a different API to write longer paths. It is not limited to the standard 255 character limit. However, these folders/files may not be accessible correctly in Explorer.

Other platforms tend to have fairly long allowed path lengths, so it's not usually a problem you'll run into.

I don't believe there's any explicit handling of this problem if you did exceed the length on one platform - it'd probably just fail to sync.