Strange Sync Problem

photoniac

Hello:

I'm currently using Sync v1.2.92

There are 2 Windows 7 computers involved: A & B.

A is behind a firewall and is on a static IP. B is also behind a firewall but is on DHCP-based ISP network.

So I use A as the host. And B is primarily the back-up. It's supposed to connect to A and take a back-up whenever it switches itself on. And once in a while, if there's any activity on B, update A.

On A, I have one folder shared. In "Properties" of that folder, everything is turned off except "Store deleted files in SyncArchive".

On B, I have added that folder with the key. In "Properties" of that folder, everything is turned off except "Store deleted files in SyncArchive" and "Use predefined hosts" where I have provided the IP and port of A.

I used a port check utility "https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2" to make sure outside world can see into A at the specified port.

Now, when both machines are on, they don't sync.

Sync on A even shows the IP of B in "Devices" but the Status is usually written as "U: 4.7 GB". Nothing else. The folders were sync'd once upon a time, using Sync, and the total diff is only of about 23 files worth about 25-30 MB. A few days ago, it just stopped happening. What's even more frustrating is that on random days, a few new files are sync'd -- there's no way of telling which ones would be, and when (at least I've not determined a pattern).

Sync on B doesn't show A in the "Devices" list at all.

The debug is enabled, but on both computers the log only shows "FFFF".

There are a crazy amount of ping requests on sync.log on both computers. I even tried to enable "Use relay server when required", "Use tracker server", and even "Search DHT network" with no luck. All this resulted in was a lot more data in sync log about these services but no actual data to be transferred.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with Sync? How can I fix this please?

Thanks,

photonics,

1. Is your firewall guarding A allows (or forwards - if it is NAT) the port which A is listening?

2. Your B - is it behind NAT? Does NAT allows UPnP / PMP? If no - did you forward corresponding port to B?

Briefly, both PCs need to be able to contact each other directly, either with help of UPnP/PMP or manual port forwarding. If you are using tracker - both must be able to reach t.usyncapp.com with UDP port 3000.

Hi RomanZ.

Thanks for responding.

I'm sure about #1 -- the port works and is reachable from outside world.

#2, I'm not so sure since there's an ADSL router involved that I don't have access to. Plus, I'm not sure what NAT and UPNP/PMP are to be honest.

I think the direct connection is intermittent because some days, randomly, a few random files sync. That's what driving me more crazy. Either it should work or it shouldn't work -- what's with the random working business? ARGH. :wacko:

I'll give using tracker a shot again.

1.3 -- Over TCP connection is working fine and the files have begun syncing.

What do the following mean (from sync.log):

1. [2014-03-28 02:22:52] ###.###.###.###:####: did not pick any blocks. blocking peer temporarily

(I have hid the IP & port with #)

2. [2014-03-28 02:22:53] Torrent magnet (9659455dd897bc66b7f55751525f7a836ca5e4f2) status:137 error:<NULL> meta:0 conns:1 io:0
(I have hid the actual hash with pseudo hash)

3. [2014-03-28 02:22:55] Torrent \\?\D:\Archive\LP\DL\Proposal.pdf status:137 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:1 io:0

1. [2014-03-28 02:22:52] ###.###.###.###:####: did not pick any blocks. blocking peer temporarily

(I have hid the IP & port with #)

This message mean that peer didn't have chunks for uploading to current host. File is splitted to pieces, pieces splitted to chunks.

2. [2014-03-28 02:22:53] Torrent magnet (9659455dd897bc66b7f55751525f7a836ca5e4f2) status:137 error:<NULL> meta:0 conns:1 io:0

(I have hid the actual hash with pseudo hash)

3. [2014-03-28 02:22:55] Torrent \\?\D:\Archive\LP\DL\Proposal.pdf status:137 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:1 io:0

No matter, this is debug messages. There is no errors ("error: <NULL>").