What Does Btsync Do, If 2 Folders Exists?

Niranda

Hey,

I'm really sure that this question has been answered very often, so i wonder that I cant find a matching thread/topic.. hum..

There are 2 devices with a "Movies" folder which should be synced, but there are some terabytes of data inside, f.e.:

Raspberry:/media/Movies/Series (Contains Simpsons and Star Trek)

PlexMediaServer:/media/Movies/Series (Contains only Simpsons, not Star Trek)

What does BTsync do?
Will it just sync "Star Trek" from the "Raspberry" to the "PlexMediaServer", because "Simpsons" are the same files (but different creation-dates)?

Or will it switch to hardcore-mode and overwrite all existin files... again.. :(

The sync work over the internet in a vpn network with really slow upload. (50kb/s...yeeeaah!!)

Nira :)

Edit:
Both folder "Movies" have the same structure and filenames (if existing)  ;)

Edited by Niranda

Assuming you're using full access secrets on both devices, the end result will be that both devices contain an identical set of files.

In any instance where two identical files exist on both devices, assuming their last modified dates are also identical, nothing will happen (i.e. they won't transfer again) - but if they are different, the newer version will propagate to the other device.

Assuming you're using full access secrets on both devices, the end result will be that both devices contain an identical set of files.

In any instance where two identical files exist on both devices, assuming their last modified dates are also identical, nothing will happen (i.e. they won't transfer again) - but if they are different, the newer version will propagate to the other device.

So, wait... BTSync doesn't check file checksums to see whether they are in fact the same files and just relies on dates? Even if the dates are different but the checksusm are the same - then surely there's no need to sync anything (except maybe change the date on the "older" file)?