How Do I Sync Between Two Smart Devices?

Although the mobile app versions support connecting with QR codes, they are not capable of creating their own shares. There used to be a quick method of sending files with mobile devices by selecting some files and creating a temporary secret, but this feature was unfortunately removed a few versions ago.

So in a nutshell, I'll always need a desktop since they are the only ones who can generate the secrets and allow the connections to happen?

Half and half: yes, you need a desktop to set up the share, which you then connect with your phone through a QR code. once you have done this, you could theoretically delete the share on the desktop and have it only running from your phone. Then you can connect new smart devices from your phone to the same share. You do not need to have a desktop/server version running in order for the phone node to work on its own.

can't figure out how to have the android generate the sync secret that the IOS devices need to input

There's a workaround for this if you like.  It's a bit cumbersome, but not too bad.  In summary, the android app is capable of creating a read-only secret.  Just change it to a Full-Access secret and then you can connect other devices.  Here's how it works:

• In the BTSync android app, press Backup
  • Choose an arbitrary folder and click next. (We'll be deleting the share in a moment - that's why it's arbitrary.)
  • Press "Copy" and then press back.
  • Delete the new share.
  • Press the "My Sync" tab.
  • Add a new folder - this is where you select the folder you really do want to share, and not just an arbitrary one.
  • In the area below where it says "Scan QR Code," paste the secret you copied earlier.
  • Change the first letter from B to A (This makes it full access.  Make sure it's an uppercase A!)
  • Once that's saved, you can share it with other phones using the QR code found by pressing and holding on new folder, and pressing "Share Folder" under the My Sync section of the app.

• 5 weeks later...

Although the mobile app versions support connecting with QR codes, they are not capable of creating their own shares. There used to be a quick method of sending files with mobile devices by selecting some files and creating a temporary secret, but this feature was unfortunately removed a few versions ago.

yes great feature i don't why it was removed it was realy great if want to transfer just a little file quickly very sad about that.