More Control Over Resource Usage

jesperordrup

• 11 months later...

Just as the title says; it'd be nice to have more control over resource usage than simply bandwidth limitations. At the very least we should be able to limit global peers similar to torrents, to reduce the number of simultaneous connections.

Personally though I'd prefer the ability to set CPU% and total RAM; even if the limits are only enforced very roughly, Bittorrent Sync is more of a background service so it's important to keep it as un-intrusive as possible, especially on (relatively) slow NAS devices and such which are particularly useful for ensuring constant availability.

I know Bittorrent Sync isn't intentionally wasteful or anything, but I'd like more control over how tightly it controls resource use, even if it results in slower speeds. Currently, adding more folders and helping others to share or protect data is entering into the spirit of things, but it will eat up resources a lot more quickly during peak periods.