Sync Usb Ext Hdd To Nas Across Lan & Wan

jb510

I'm totally new to BTSync and didn't find any info on this case in the forums.  Feel free to tell me to go search again if I just missed it or point me to a starting point.

I'd like to setup an USB external HDD (HFS+, occasionally connected to a MacBook) to sync it's entire contents or folders with a share on my NAS (EXT4, Synology DS213 DSM 5.0).

I'd like that sync to happen whether I'm on my LAN where the NAS is or if I'm remote (Internet).

Is that doable with BTSync?  Any major road blocks?  I see a ton of possible road blocks, I just don't know if BTSync work around those, namely: a sometimes disconnected drive, different file system formats...

One note based on another thread I read.  The data on the ext usb drive is not syncing with my local drive.  It's only on the external and the NAS.  Basically I want to use the NAS as primary, but have the external always up to date for when I go off-grid.

Edited by jb510

FWIW, I went ahead and got this setup.

Manually installed BTSync on my Synology DS213.  Create a user, bysync, gave that user access to my homes/username and told it to sync /pictures inside that folder.

Used the installer on my Mac and added /pictures to btsync from my external usb drive.  Used the same shared secret.

So far, it looks like it's working on the LAN.  I have tried disconnects or remotely yet...  later today.