Question About Sync-Id

spYro

Hi :)

I am just thinking....

When i install BTsync on a PC and afterwards i create an image of this PC and copy it to many other computers.... Will this work? I think every BTsync has it's own ID that is supposed to be unique...

Will this still work? Or is there an option to midify the Sync-ID via some hex-editor afterwards to for example the hostname or just recreate a random ID? Maybe if i delete the file with the sync-ID it will re-create a new one? I think the device-name is editable through some commands where i change it in the ini and restart btsync. But what about the ID?

Hope you get, what i am thinkng about :)

Best wishes

spYro

Is the unique-Id the ".fileguard"-entry? The one that looks like "0EC2DB6189FEBBA9C276F8F20E...."?

I just emptied the string on the ".fileguard-entry" and started BTsync. It generated a new one.

1. Is this legit? Because all other settings won't be touched (that's what i want) this way.

2. what purpose does the settings.dat.old serve? i thought it would maybe store the configs in case of something saved wrong. But the .fileguard entry seems to be completely un-linked. They even both re-create different fileguard-IDs if i delete the fileguard-ID only in the settings.dat...

I hope you or someone else can help me a little bit here :)

@spYro

It is not fileguard. It is peer_id.

1. Deleting the settings.dat and settings.dat.old will force BTSync to re-create them with default settings - and new PeerID. This is legitimate, but has a major drawback - all other settings will be reset (excluding folder-specific ones).

2. Its a backup. If BTSync realizes that settings.dat is corrupt, it will load the backup. 

Changing the part of settings.dat is not advised - you can easily corrupt the format and in best case make the file unreadable (which will force its restoration from backup or re-creation), while in worst case - corrupt some settings.

ah ok, my mistake :) so... i could delete both files and recreate them by starting btsync. afterwards i could exit it and change some settings via editor (bencode) like device-name :) This is ok for my ideas, thanks ;).