Triggered What Seems Like A Particularly Nasty Bug - How Can I Submit It?

entrench

Hi all, first post, be kind :)

I started using Sync to keep my personal folders synchronized between my desktop and my laptop(which I take everywhere with me, so a solution that doesn't require firewall changes is awesome.

However when I was first setting it up, I think I did something wrong or was proceeding too quickly. I triggered something nasty that caused the folders I was replicating to spawn infinite copies of ".conflict" folders - I kid you not there were so many that the file/folder names couldn't be displayed on screen. I noticed because Windows warned me that my hard drive space was low. It also caused the BT Sync processes on both of my computers to lock up and have to manually be restarted via End task, and after a few minutes of running they would lock up again.

Anyway, I was able to resolve it by deleting the sync folders, removing all the ".conflict" folders and then re-creating the sync folders with another key. My question is, how can I report this to the devs? Is there logging I can include? It's nasty and I for sure don't want to go through it again. This happened yesterday so I may have already overwritten any logging that exists.

Thanks!

My question is, how can I report this to the devs? Is there logging I can include?

Yes. Please see this pinned topic in the dedicated Sync Troubleshooting forum.

In relation to .conflict files/folders, this will be caused because you're syncing between two different operating systems that handle file names differently.

For example, on Linux, you could have two files in the same folder named "ABC.txt" and "abc.txt" respectively. On Windows, however, this isn't allowed, and so the OS (not Sync) generates a .conflict to deal with the issue of what it perceives to be two identical files.