If You Have Sync Issue

kos13

If you have Sync issue, then we are here to help you. Having right problem description and logs will mean that your problem will be fixed in a matter of hours.

Just email us at syncapp@bittorrent.com and we will answer any question you might have.

If you will do few steps in advance, that will help us significantly. Please note, that in most cases we will need logs from BOTH (!) machines.

Step 0. Describe your problem

Don't forget to describe your problem or put link to the forum post in your email.

Step 1. Turn on Debug Logging.

Windows: Shift + Right-click Sync icon in system tray and select "Enable Debug Logging".
Mac: Shift-click on Sync icon in system tray and select "Enable Debug Logging".

Linux: create file debug.txt with contents of FFFFFFFF in the .sync folder. You can find the .sync folder in the same directory where the btsync binary is located. If you are running binary in config mode, you'll need to put debug.txt into your storage folder.

Step 2. Reproduce issue

Please let Sync collect logs for at least 15 minutes to get enough information.

Step 3. Attach log file to your email.

Windows: %APPDATA%\BitTorrent Sync\sync.log and sync.log.old
Mac: ~/Library/Application\ Support/BitTorrent\ Sync/sync.log
 and sync.log.old
Linux: ./sync/sync.log and sync.log.old

If you are running Sync in config mode, you'll need to put debug.txt into the defined storage folder.

I have a small functional issue at windows startup: Syncapp starts minimized instead of having just the tray icon

Yes, a number of users (myself included!) have requested the ability for SyncApp to start truly minimized to just the system tray only (and not also be present in the taskbar)... so the SyncApp team are aware of this request! Hopefully it might come with the new build next week! :)

EDIT: BitTorrent Sync (previously known as "SyncApp") now starts correctly "minimized" to the System Tray

Yes, a number of users (myself included!) have requested the ability for SyncApp to start truly minimized to just the system tray only (and not also be present in the taskbar)... so the SyncApp team are aware of this request! Hopefully it might come with the new build next week! :)

Would be great! I'm looking forward to test the update (especially the improved secret keys).

"We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (syncapp) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:"

Doesn't look like I'm allowed to email you guys

I actually think the email address at the top of this thread may be incorrect - try sync@bittorrent.com instead of syncapp@bittorrent.com

Running syncapp on Synology DS1010+. SyncApp 1.0.92.

Again running into to GLIBC_2.4 error. The binary is dynamically linked. Can you please create a statically linked binary? It is larger, but it should work on this system. (And other Synology systems). I think this is a rather big chunk of hosts this is going to be run on.

Forcibly tricking the system with Ermine works, but is really really nasty.

http://www.magicermi...m/products.html

If you want to test a statically compiled binary, please PM me. I will be MORE than happy to serve as a tester on this issue.

(Some random link: http://stackoverflow...c-linking-glibc)

PS> Cannot create a debuglog, since the application is not starting.

• 2 weeks later...

You could setup a more formal bug ticket place, just open an account for example at bitbucket.

My current problem is when I am editing a file and save over a syncapp dir, sometimes and old copy comes and substitutes the new one. It requires me to save several times until the new version prevails. Another bug that may be just the same as the one before is when I delete a file it revives from another node and I have to kill the whole dir to get it killed. I run five copies of the share in three separate networks and two of then are behind a heavy firewall. The outside copy took a whole day to find its peers behind the firewall even after I gave it the ip of the node which had http and ssh access. As a matter of fact it looks that the nodes inside the firewall found the outside node, since they list the outside node in its gui, but the outside node has an empty peer list. Those nodes could politely inform the outside node of their existence, so the node gui would list then even if it was not found by his own effort. I have set a copy in the outside node but without a copy in the accessible node inside the firewall and it did not sync after a day. It looks like it will not find the other nodes since syncapp has not a tracker, does it? Another reason maybe that the outside node is behind an almost inaccessible NAT set by the GVT powerbox modem and it takes pure chance to find it. I also have a dozen of wishes to post, I have posted some but you could try a feedback site like uservoice or ideascale so that the wishes can get more organized.

Step 1. Turn on Debug Logging.

Windows and Mac: click on SyncApp icon and select "Enable Debug Logging".

Linux: create file debug.txt with contents of FFFF in the folder where SyncApp binary is located.

Step 2. Reproduce issue

Step 3. Attach log file to your email.

kos13, You might add the location of the icon you're referring to in Step 1 for Windows/Mac (i.e., Click on the SyncApp icon in the System tray and select "Enable Debug Logging"). I have a desktop icon, a taskbar icon, and a system tray icon............and, there is an icon in the upper left corner of the application window when it is open on the desktop. I tried to find the command to turn on Debug Logging and, as it happened, the icon in the system tray was the 4th one I tried. So I was just a little frustrated by the time I got to that one.

some my new issues:

- single console app (or current BTSync), what accept two param secret key, and path folder destination where to download.

- api dll what can be plugged into other developers app (for ex: syncapp like updater for personal software)

- selective download, don't download all share or some parts of it. Or secret key for full download, and key for selective download.

- message system, public/private for share. One-to-Many, One-to-One, Many-to-Many, Many-to-One.

- single pear can be re-tracker. Or improvements for decentralization

- qr-codes for mobile app

- opportunity to share the available space on the disk. to create a secure global distributed storage. If you shared a gigabyte, then the repository to share with you part of the free space. The number of allocated gigabytes for you depends on how committed you are, divided by your uptime (and can be multiplied by the percentage of the number of stored containers you) The owner of another container will not know that it without a key.

- x64 app :D

2jFXHjJF, those are not really issues - more feature requests, but anyway:

- api dll what can be plugged into other developers app (for ex: syncapp like updater for personal software)

There are already plans for an API. Please see this post

- selective download, don't download all share or some parts of it. Or secret key for full download, and key for selective download.

This already exists! You can use .SyncIgnore to selectively sync files, and there's also an option for "Read Only" secrets

- x64 app :D

BitTorrent Sync is already compatible with x64 Windows platforms, with the exception of Windows XP 64-bit, and there are no plans for a x64 WinXP client, given that this is nearly an obsolete OS (XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft from April next year!)

Issues I've encounterd so far:

Does not prevent computer from sleeping during a large upload (OS X)

I prefer to keep it like now, going to sleep. It scares me the fact of being on battery and being unable to sleep, leading to battery dry. If your priority is syncing, you have a whole arsenal of tools to keep your computer awake. These are the kind of things that should never be hardcoded in BT Sync

Does not use OS X Finder Trash - keep using .syncTrash

This one I think was already asked for and would be optional in a future release

Anything going on atm? Because I cant get a connection anymore. Not even with direct IP. Not even over lan!

Debuginh only shows FFF and synclog some pinging attempts. like

Sending broadcast ping for share blablablabla....

It was working fine yesterday and the day before. Today I had trouble getting connection and now its not working anymore at all.

I have an issue where if I sync folders on two systems, the amount of data to transfer under the Devices tab is incorrect.

Example:

Device A has 10 GB of data in Folder 1, Device B has that same 10 GB of data as well as another 15 GB in Folder 1.

The amount of data to transfer on the start as seen on Device B will be 25 GB. Once both devices are fully synced up, Device B still shows that there's 10 GB of data left to transfer.

If Device A has no data to start out with, then 25 GB would be synced to it and when completed the Status in the Devices tab shows that the device has completed sync.