Handling A Lot (~20 000) Of Files

petko10

Hello everyone, my problem is that BTSync just eats a lot of CPU time, because of the size of my pictures folder (20GB, ~20k files) . Is there a way to tweak the settings in order to minimize the problem? For example configure BTSync to index the folder every three days or something like that (I don't really need instant sync for that folder - it's an archive) . Btw I'm on Linux (Manjaro). 

I guess other people have come across the problem, so instead of reinventing the wheel I figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is there a way to tweak the settings in order to minimize the problem? For example configure BTSync to index the folder every three days or something like that (I don't really need instant sync for that folder - it's an archive) . Btw I'm on Linux (Manjaro). 

Not really - CPU optimizations will likely follow in subsequent "beta" builds.

In the meantime, perhaps if you don't need "instant" sync and only wish to index/sync every 3 days, it might be worth investigating setting Sync to run/exit on a schedule every couple of days rather than it running all the time? (you'd have to do this via the OS though as there's currently no such functionality within Sync itself at this time - that said, the ability to "schedule" when syncing occurs is a popular suggestion over in the Feature Requests forum)

Thanks for the quick replies. The version of BTSync is 1.4.72-1 (I noticed there's an update to "..-2" but I'd guess it won't fix the issue) . The CPU usage is about half of the capacity of my "Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz" , which significantly slows things down if there is any other program trying to do something and it happens quite often. 
About scheduling : it would be a problem to schedule through the OS, because I have other folders which I do want to sync instantly. I'll maybe use some other sync program for the photo collection after all. I do hope scheduling lands in BTSync (because relying on algorithm optimizations to take care of processing large amounts of data is not a realistic alternative).

Edit: the new version is 1.4.75-2 , I'm a few point releases back