Syncing And Then Deleting

turnerg

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a research project in which part of our job is to digitize and preserve extremely large audio files. In our current setup, We have a centralized desktop computer located in our campus office, which is used for file storage, and the investigators on the project who are doing fieldwork in other locations just upload their interview data to this computer.

I've got them using BitTorrent Sync, because it seems to be way more stable and reliable than SMB or AFP, but I'm a little concerned that I've been operating under the faulty assumption that they can sync their upload folders to the fileserver, and then have it remain intact after they delete their local copies to free up space on their laptops. Is there any way to tell BitTorrent to protect uploaded files from deletion?

Thanks

Is there any way to tell BitTorrent to protect uploaded files from deletion?

Of sorts; you can use a read only key, that way any "uploaded" files which are deleted won't propagate back to other devices.

So whilst this won't prevent deletion, it will mean that deletions will be ignored and corresponding files on other devices won't also be deleted.

For a true "none-deleting node", consider adding your voice to this thread in the Feature Request forum.