None-Deleting Node

TorbenK

Great software :-)

I use this for private offsite backup and it works allmost perfect.

As I understand it 'read only' sharing is oneway sync of files added/deleted

I would like to be able to make a shared folder 'non deleting' so files can be added but not deleted.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I created an account just to support this feature request :)

In my case, I take a lot of photos and videos on Android, I'd like them all to be copied to my PC... Then I want to delete the files from phone to free some space, but always keep their copies on the PC that has much larger storage space.

One way backup.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I created an account just to support this feature request :)

In my case, I take a lot of photos and videos on Android, I'd like them all to be copied to my PC... Then I want to delete the files from phone to free some space, but always keep their copies on the PC that has much larger storage space.

One way backup.

Thanks

Same here. Exact same usage scenario even. This is the definition of backup to me, and even though I've set trash_ttl=0, I don't like having to dive into .syncarchive to then move files to a sync-folder not affiliated with my phone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ditto, also registered to post support for this feature. Apple's Photostream feature copies pictures from my iPhone to my desktop already. Bittorent Sync backs up these images from my desktop to my server. Apple for some unknown reason deletes from the desktop when I delete from my phone to recover space. I want the pictures not to be removed from the server when removed from the desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another person who signed up just to request this.  This is a MUST for anyone to use BTSync as I intend to:

Set up a remote server which is automated to download things via bittorrent (say, a podcast).

Use BTSync to sync those things which were downloaded to my home PC.

Have the freedom to delete said things from the server or home PC as desired, without one affecting the other.

Traditional FTP Sync software can fulfill these requirements, except that it doesn't work with bittorrent downloads (since it doesn't hash the files).

One-way syncing (read-only) as currently implemented in BTSync fulfills all but the last requirement (I can delete on the home PC without affecting the server, but removing a file on the server will delete it on my home PC).  As it stands, I have to either listen to the podcast before removing it from the server, OR manually move/copy it to a non-synced directory.  At which point, really, I may as well just FTP on-demand as I've always done it.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the freedom to delete said things from the server or home PC as desired, without one affecting the other.

That's not going to work. You might make your home PC a read-only node, so deleting files there won't affect the server, but deleting files on the server WILL move them to .SyncArchive on your PC.

Edit: Disregard the above - I was probably thinking of the wrong thread.

Edited by ChrisH

Yes, that's exactly the point of this request.  It's to have a share type which DOESN'T do that.  Call it "Archive" mode, or "Grab" mode, or whatever clever name the devs come up with.  The point is to have a sync mode which will create any new files on synced nodes, but not sync any deletions.

If you read the last paragraph of my post, I specifically point out that this is not currently possible.  "One-way syncing (read-only) as currently implemented in BTSync fulfills all but the last requirement (I can delete on the home PC without affecting the server, but removing a file on the server will delete it on my home PC)."

• 3 weeks later...

I would want this as well
I have a Digital Ocean server running Bittorrent sync, I used that to torrent my podcast so I can help support/seed. I used BITtorrent sync to sync the completed podcasts to my computers and phones. My server only had 20GB available so I need to delete the podcast every so often to make room for the new ones. But this deletes the podcast from my desktop and phones as well because they are synced with the server.

From looking at this post
http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/32267-android-backup-vs-readonly-sync/

it looks like the mobile clients already have this feature, is there a way to "hack this" for a computer :).

I would want this as well

I have a Digital Ocean server running Bittorrent sync, I used that to torrent my podcast so I can help support/seed. I used BITtorrent sync to sync the completed podcasts to my computers and phones. My server only had 20GB available so I need to delete the podcast every so often to make room for the new ones. But this deletes the podcast from my desktop and phones as well because they are synced with the server.

From looking at this post

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/32267-android-backup-vs-readonly-sync/

it looks like the mobile clients already have this feature, is there a way to "hack this" for a computer :).

This is essential feature. I wish it gets implemented soon. Backup only mode which is readonly files don't get deleted when removed from source.