No Automatic Startup?

There are a number of solutions:

1) Preferences -> Start Sync on startup

2) Reinstall Sync and make sure you select "Start sync with Windows" option in the installer

3) Add a shortcut to BTSync.exe in your Start Menu -> Programs -> Startup folder (add a /MINIMIZED switch if you wish to have Sync start minimized)

There are a number of solutions:

1) Preferences -> Start Sync on startup

2) Reinstall Sync and make sure you select "Start sync with Windows" option in the installer

3) Add a shortcut to BTSync.exe in your Start Menu -> Programs -> Startup folder (add a /MINIMIZED switch if you wish to have Sync start minimized)

It currently does start on windows, however I have to log in for it to actually work. I want a passive sync, not something I have to tend every time I restart my system. I also do not have any of those options under preferences. (v 1.4.93 Beta, updated today)

So you want Sync to run even when you're not logged in to Windows? In which case, no, Sync doesn't currently natively support being installed and run as a Windows Service.

Consider adding your voice to this thread instead.

No, I want it to automatically start and log in when Windows starts. Currently, I can make it start but I still have to log in.

No, I want it to automatically start and log in when Windows starts. Currently, I can make it start but I still have to log in.

Sync cannot log you into Windows.

Sync cannot start unless you are logged into Windows.

There have been a number of user requests to have Sync start before you login (or when you're logged off) - which is the thread I've referred to you.

Sync cannot log you into Windows.

Sync cannot start unless you are logged into Windows.

There have been a number of user requests to have Sync start before you login (or when you're logged off) - which is the thread I've referred to you.

That is not what I am asking for. Let me rephrase:

Is there a workaround so I don't have to log into bitsync when it starts?

It is BitSync that needs to be logged on, not windows. Windows is already running with a user. 

@DerakDerantick

I'm a bit confused. To clarify, I'll be very precise in terms:

1) You want Sync to be automatically started without you logging in windows user?

OR

2) You are using WebUI interface in your browser to access Sync UI and you want Sync to stop prompting you the user name and password to access UI?

@DerakDerantick

I'm a bit confused. To clarify, I'll be very precise in terms:

1) You want Sync to be automatically started without you logging in windows user?

OR

2) You are using WebUI interface in your browser to access Sync UI and you want Sync to stop prompting you the user name and password to access UI?

Number 2. I take it there's a different, non-webUI version since you mention it?

Number 2. I take it there's a different, non-webUI version since you mention it?

In which case, you'll need to run Sync one time with a config file in order to remove the password.

To do this, exit Sync, open Notepad, and add the following (adjusting storage path as appropriate):

{

"storage_path" : "/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync",

"webui" : {

"listen" : "127.0.0.1:8888"

}

}

Save this file as "reset.conf" to the location where Sync is installed (i.e. C:\Program Files\BitTorrent Sync)

Next, start a new blank Notepad document containing the following line:

START BTSync /config reset.conf

Save this second file as "reset.bat" also to the location where Sync is installed.

Finally, run (double-click) the reset.bat file you've just created. This should remove the password protection on the WebUI

In which case, you'll need to run Sync one time with a config file in order to remove the password.

To do this, exit Sync, open Notepad, and add the following (adjusting storage path as appropriate):

Save this file as "reset.conf" to the location where Sync is installed (i.e. C:\Program Files\BitTorrent Sync)

Next, start a new blank Notepad document containing the following line:

Save this second file as "reset.bat" also to the location where Sync is installed.

Finally, run (double-click) the reset.bat file you've just created. This should remove the password protection on the WebUI

My username has a problem with this method (as seen here http://puu.sh/cp8rQ/7df23d8bc2.png )

On this same note, mine is set to run via the registry on startup and it has listed "C:\Program Files (x86)\BitTorrent Sync\BTSync.exe"  /MINIMIZED yet it still starts up in view and I have to minimize it manually.  This started when you guys changed the look of the program not too long ago so the /minimize option doesn't seem to work.

*edit - I just deleted the registry key then added it to the Startup folder with /minimized and that works

Edited by darkonex

On this same note...

That's actually a completely different note to what the OP is asking (although, I concede it initially wasn't too clear as to what the OP was actually asking!) - he's not referring to automatic startup, he's referring to be prompted for credentials each time he accesses Sync via his browser.

@DerakDerantick

I still suspect that your config file is non-UTF8 encoded: the special char in your name should be encoded by 2 or more bytes, while console shows only single question mark. I can check it if you send me your config file (stub your secrets, of course).

Alternative way to reset a password would be to delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old - though, it will reset all the global app preferences for Sync.