Can I Trust Sync With All My Data?

borahshadow

My question is simple: Would you trust Sync with all of your files?

Do you mean "trust" as in whether anyone unauthorized (NSA/BitTorrent Inc/Joe Public, etc) can access your files? ...or do you mean "trust" as in the stability/reliability of the software?

If it's the former, there's a wealth of existing threads in the forums where security has been discussed at length (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7), and also a blog post.

If it's the latter, it would perhaps be worth bearing in mind the relative infancy and current "beta" nature of Sync.

My question is simple: Would you trust Sync with all of your files? 

What do you mean by "all of your files"? If you're thinking in terms of a backup solution, I think you should look elsewhere.

I trust Sync to do the task it's designed for, which is synchronizing specific folders, subject to caveats laid out by the developer such as "don't change the contents of a synced folder on a device while Sync isn't running on that device". This task of synchronizing specific folders, which Sync is doing reliably for me, covers only a small subset of all my files. All my files are backed up onsite and offsite, so if anything goes wrong with Sync, like it can with any software, I can recover.

I don't mean 'trust' as in security. I'm confident that it is secure enough for my needs. I mean trust as in reliability.

I'm not thinking in terms of a backup solution per se but rather a way to ensure that my collection of files is locally accessible between 2 or 3 different remote sites. This said collection of files will be backed up from one of the remote sites with a second service. Most likely Crash Plan or similar.

I am aware of the beta designation and that is why I was asking. I see a lot of people using sync for production situations but also see reports of sync doing things like syncing an older file over the top of a newer file etc. I will have incremental backups of my files but I'm more concerned with not noticing that sync has messed up the sync of a file until a significant amount of time has passed therefore making the retrieval of the correct version difficult to impossible depending on how much time had elapsed.