Pre Copy

poyntzj

Not seen anything about this after searching.

I have a machine at location A with around 100GB of data

I have a machine at location B which was running BTSync and it was synching a drive which was upto date.

The machine at location B has had to have its OS drive replaced due to failure, so now it is rebuilt I have reinstalled BTSync and reconfigured.  Now it is telling me it needs to sync 100GB of data.

Is there anyway to tell BTSync that most of the data (nearly all 100GB) is identical and it only needs to sync the odd few MB ?

The old drive died and was not accessible via any method so I could not get any info from the %appdata% folder - which is where I suspect key data is stored.

cheers

Is there anyway to tell BTSync that most of the data (nearly all 100GB) is identical and it only needs to sync the odd few MB ?

Sync will determine what needs to be synced automatically.

However, when you add a "fresh" location, Sync first has to index its content - therefore it may initially show that 100GB needs Syncing, but during the indexing process you should see this figure decrease without anything actually transferring, as Sync realizes that data is in sync (which it can't do before its indexed it)

• 1 month later...

Sync will determine what needs to be synced automatically.

However, when you add a "fresh" location, Sync first has to index its content - therefore it may initially show that 100GB needs Syncing, but during the indexing process you should see this figure decrease without anything actually transferring, as Sync realizes that data is in sync (which it can't do before its indexed it)

Is this also the case with RO folders? I have experienced situations multiple times (most recently it was with a 370 GB folder) where I manually copy files and then point sync towards that folder and it indexes for 20 min and then says out of Sync and randomly starts syncing (at low speeds of 15 kb/s) all of the data again, but the majority of the time it says there "out of sync." What's up with this?

I should mention that the manual copy and then sync process works great for RW folders.

Any idea why it does not work in my case? I have never successfully manually copied files and then synced RO. I did check "overwrite changed files". Does manually copying the file put a different date last edited on each file and BTSync considers it a different file, thus requiring a full resync? There was a message when I began syncing that files were changed on the RO side and that changes would not be synced, which makes sense as a RO. Is there a better method to copy files over than just in Windows Explorer? Thanks for your help, this has me scratching my head.