Symlink To Sync Files From Current Position Without Duplicating?

sync25

I have a library of files I keep organized by maintaining naming conventions and file structure. I would like to be able to pick and choose which of these files I will share with my "Friends" folder. It would be ideal if I did not have to duplicate these files by simply copying them from their home location to my synced folder location.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this, or have any thoughts about my idea for symlinking the desired files to share into the btsync folder?

Thanks!

@sync25, "selective sync" is coming in Sync 2.0. This will allow you to share a folder with others, but rather than downloading the entire folder contents, the people you're sharing with will be able to pick & choose which files they "download".

In relation to symlinks/folder junctions, some users have been able to make these work with sync, but be aware that symlinks/folder junctions aren't officially supported at this time and have been known to cause issues. You're probably best to avoid them if possible.

Thanks for the quick reply. Are the known issues related to writing changes back to the original share? If so I wonder if only sharing these files as read only would work well.

I believe the issue are more around the detection of new/changed files - but have a search of the forums for "symlink" as there are a handful of topics from users who've encountered issues.