Issues Syncing Photo Collection Exif/metadata

scotepi

I have a 100gb photo collection that I sync between my desktop, nas and a PC off site. I just went through and updated tags and other meta data on all the photos. I would think that because its tags and other metadata is stored in EXIF and they are all JPG so it is universally accepted that EXIF data can easily change it would just sync the EXIF.

Boy was I mistaken. Google+ Auto Back took a whopping 2 minutes to resync the EXIF data. BT Sync 1.4.106 is taking 5 days to resync that little bit of data.

Am I wrong in thinking that LIKE EVERY OTHER SYNC PROGRAM the entire files doesn't need to be resent, just a few bytes that actually changed?

Edited by scotepi

@scotepi

Sync also does syncs only parts of file that change. However, there is not any advanced algorithms that find the changed parts and non-changed. Sync simply splits file to pieces and calcs the hash of each piece. If the file was changed for a couple of bytes at the very beginning so the rest of file will be shifted, Sync will consider such file as completely new - and resync it fully.

After studying shortly on how JPEG stores EXIF information I found out that it can be inserted virtually anywhere in the file. So I strongly suspect that in your case Sync considered way too much changes in your files - and wants to re-sync large amounts of data.