2.0 Vs. 1.4 Folders?

So if we have a couple of folders syncing between two computers with 2.0 installed, why do the folders still say 1.4 on them?

I'm kind of confused as to what's happened with this "Pro" feature introduction... as I'm pretty sure that I don't need to upgrade for any reason but I'm afraid something will break after the 30 day trial.

Can anyone clarify what is going on here? (P.S. I almost feel like I'm being penalized for being a beta tester now.)

@arguser

Thanks for sharing the link

@benguild

Sync 2.0 supports boths new 2.0 folders and classic 1.4 folders, so when you upgrade your Sync it will leave existing folders as is.

If we compare 2.0 and 1.4 folder briefly, we'll get:

2.0 folders are:

- certificate-based (you can't copy key and should always use link, also more secure than key)

- support user access change

1.4 folders are:

- key-based (you can copy and distribute key or link)

- do not support user access change or on-demand sync.

I used to have my folders mostly read-only on my second machine (used for backup). But I don't want any changes made on it to sync back to my main PC. So read-only setup for these folders worked great for me.

Now on 2.0 my folders are shown as "Owner" on both machines as they are now linked. How I can acomplish a "read-only" setup again?

@mexter

Yes. Folder type does not matter.

@enterfornone

Read-only folders are not available between devices added to "My devices" mesh. We are aware of this limitation and going to fix it in future. For now you can just make a separate identity for your backup PC.

For now you can just make a separate identity for your backup PC.

Unless you have more than 10 backup folders,  in which case you'd need a separate subscription identity for the backup machine, correct? So one license would be insufficient?

Will this limitation be addressed before the Pro trial runs out?

• 2 weeks later...

@arguser

Thanks for sharing the link

@benguild

Sync 2.0 supports boths new 2.0 folders and classic 1.4 folders, so when you upgrade your Sync it will leave existing folders as is.

If we compare 2.0 and 1.4 folder briefly, we'll get:

2.0 folders are:

- certificate-based (you can't copy key and should always use link, also more secure than key)

- support user access change

1.4 folders are:

- key-based (you can copy and distribute key or link)

- do not support user access change or on-demand sync.

Certificate based folders? That sounds interesting, but who is the certificate authority? How are user access changes propagated?