Pro & Free Together?

Ok - 10 folder limitation and price point discussions set aside a more practical question

I am still on 1.4 because - you know: FEAR!

I am rather willing to pay the 40 bucks because I use BTSync a lot. I have a very fine grained folder syncing structure and am distributing these individual folders to colleagues, business associates etc. I am really excited about the ability to invite somebody without giving them the possibility to invite other people, to be able to withdraw permissions, etc. - in short I will love to pro features!

But - if I update to 2.0 now and go pro to keep my 20 folders and I want a friend that has a free 2.0 version  to join a folder will this work or will we both have to have Pro version? If the former applies you will have one happy 2.0 pro user in a few more minutes! :)

Would be great if you guys could clarify that.

OK Roman, another related question on this.  If I upgrade my 'master' PC to Pro can I still use 1.4.111 on my other peers as the 'free' end?  I know the folders would remain as 1.4, but that is fine by me.  I can then test the pro version bit by bit as my foray with pro at two ends failed miserably!  If this will work I can get testing over the weekend.  Thanks!