2.0 Woes And Questions

Merk7

I have upgraded all of my devices to 2.0. I am syncing two directories, unchanged from before the upgrade. One directory ("BIG") includes thousands of files across hundres of directories. The other directory ("LITTLE") is very small and includes a dozen files.

Here are my problems and questions:

1 - Since upgrading, even though BTSync says all files are synced, my files seem to sync continuously. Files that are already on all devices keep showing up as syncing in sync history.  Why?

2 -  the directories shown in the BT Sync application have a "1.4" icon on them. Why?

3 - Adding files to LITTLE syncs immediately across all devices. When I add files to BIG, they do not sync. Instead, the 'other' devices get a file called something like "filename.docx.bts."  The .bts files just sit there for days without the actual file being synced. Why won't they sync?

I suspect that 2.0 is reindexing my files and that nothing will sync properly in BIG until that process is done. Could that be what is going on here?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Your courtesy is greatly appreciated.

2 -  the directories shown in the BT Sync application have a "1.4" icon on them. Why?

Please see the documentation

3 - Adding files to LITTLE syncs immediately across all devices. When I add files to BIG, they do not sync. Instead, the 'other' devices get a file called something like "filename.docx.bts."  The .bts files just sit there for days without the actual file being synced. Why won't they sync?

Please see the documentation

Marko,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, the documentation to which you referred only makes the switch from 1.4 to 2.0 all the more frustrating and creates more questions than it answers. Taking the issues as numbered above:

2 - As I understand it from the link you provided, the 1.4 folders cannot be 'upgraded' to 2.0 folders. I have never heard of an "upgrade" that did not upgrade all data! Please tell me I missed something.

3 - The article you linked indicates that the .bts (placeholder) files I am seeing are intentional behavior. What is confounding is that this is new behavior in version 2.0, and I was neither notified of the change nor given an opportunity to opt in or out of them. The document says that "BTS files appear in the Connected synchronization mode." That links to another document which tells me that I can have three modes, disconnected, connected and synced.  I am told that Connected folders are  "also known as 'Sync all' off folders." Since I have my folder settings set to 'Sync all' on, I am apparently not using Connected mode. so if I am NOT using Connected mode, I must be using Sync mode. Despite this, I am still gettting .bts placeholder files instead of fully synced files.

To add a new wrinkle, I have previously synced files that I've changed but which are NOT syncing to my other devices.

Finally, I still have no answer to #1 and my fully-synced files continue to sync continuously according to the History among my devices.

I have never been part of an "upgrade" that was so user-unfriendly and requires the user to follow the bouncing trail of numerous Help documents just to figure out what is going on. It is beyond me how this made sense to anyone.

Despite my frustration and the exorbitant time I am spending trying to get a handle on how to fix this, I greatly appreciate your help.

I tried to turn my .bts links into actual files by double-clicking on the placeholder files. Imagine my surprise when I got this message:

File is already in the queue.

The file is in queue to be Synced. You may want to pause other folders to prioritize syncing this one.

So apparently, a bts file is not simply a placeholder that "represent the contents of a shared folder in your file browser without copying the actual data to your device" as the help article says. Apparently, it is also a markers for files that will be synced at some point.

I now have documents that have been in the queue to be synced for over a day. Can anybody shed light on why this is happening and what might be preventing my files from syncing? This all worked fine prior to my "upgrade" to 2.0.

Thanks for your help.