Transferring Ownership

mad_cow

One of the things I liked prior to v2.0 was that all peers were equal. Then in v2.0 ownership of folders was introduced, which actually in general is not a problem, but I want a bit more flexibility. e.g. if I added a second client, then I wish I could share the folder from there as well (i.e. no need to get the share link from the owner).

- Is it possible to transfer ownership of a folder from one client to another?

- is it possible to allow non-owner client to generate the share-link? (and approve new clients?)

At least in Pro (Trial) it seems to be as such:

• The owner is the identity, so every device with your identity is the owner of your folders (or whatever permission was given to you by the owner, if you did not originally share the folder)
  • You can change the permission per folder per foreign identity. In the peer list of a shared folder, you can reassign the permission for the foreign identities you shared the folder with. There you can select read-only, read/write or owner.

After the Trial we will see if every device of your identity is still automatically the owner, as the "my devices" is a pro feature.

Furthermore will they have to add an option to share a folder directly as owner, as the free version cannot change the permissions afterwards.

If btsync will not be changed to share a folder directly as owner instead of read-only or read/write, I presume that most free users will keep using V1.4 folders, as the read/write key is also the owner key.

• You can change the permission per folder per foreign identity. In the peer list of a shared folder, you can reassign the permission for the foreign identities you shared the folder with. There you can select read-only, read/write or owner.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i made the experience, that "read & write"-peers are NOT able to approve new peers, that have connected to the synced folder. Not even, if i gave them the "owner" permission. only the "origin-owner" has approved new peers, when it was online... (link was shared with "no expiration" and "peers must not be approved manually")

The peer who created the share link will have to approve the new peer, no matter if it is the original owner or not.

can someone of the admins confirm this as a fact?

i think this behavior of btsync is pretty awkward --> in case of re-installing the os (post #2 in this thread)

I shared a folder from my linux client and for some reason only got the approval request on that device.

When I shared the folder from my Android phone, I got the approval request on all devices of my identity (1x Linux, 2x Android).

So it seems that the share link is bound to the identity and not the one device alone.

So before reinstalling your OS make sure to have at least one other device linked to the same identity.

p.s. btsync on Android has three share options: r/o, r/w and owner

• 7 years later...