Sync Name Different Than Directory Name (1.4 Vs. 2.0 Functionality)

pdxrlk

In 1.4 I set up syncs so that each of my windows "Desktop" folder was available on all devices. Each folder would be available as a sync folder called "machineNam-desktop" (which is different than the actual folder name on the initiating device, which was called, of course, "Desktop").

In 2.0, however, sync names are the same as the folder names, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change that. So, for example, if I sync "Desktop" on machineA, then all linked devices will see this as "Desktop". If I want to make machineB's desktop folder available on other machines, I'm screwed.

Is there any way to implement this in 2.0?

I realize it's simpler to keep sync names and folder names the same, but it's also limiting. 

The behavior is the same in 2.0 as it was in 1.4 - any folder you add to Sync will be added with the name the folder has in the OS, and it's not possible to "rename", set an "alias", or have a different "display" name for the folder within Sync.

i.e. if you add a folder named "Test" in your OS to Sync, it will appear in Sync with the name "Test".

You may however like to consider adding your voice to this thread in the Feature Request forum instead.

I disagree. In 1.4 I could create a folder ("folderName") on machine A, copy the key and then use that key to set up a sync folder on machine B. On machine B I could use that key to link to a folder with any arbitrary name ("folderName-from-machineA").  In 2.0 there doesn't seem to be a way to do this - it's called "folderName" everywhere (and what's worse, it insists on placing it in the default BitTorrent sync directory, so that I can't spread folders across drives).

I disagree. In 1.4 I could create a folder ("folderName") on machine A, copy the key and then use that key to set up a sync folder on machine B. On machine B I could use that key to link to a folder with any arbitrary name ("folderName-from-machineA").  In 2.0 there doesn't seem to be a way to do this - it's called "folderName" everywhere (and what's worse, it insists on placing it in the default BitTorrent sync directory, so that I can't spread folders across drives).

Ah right - that's something different to what I thought you were asking.

In Sync 2.0 you can sync to an "arbitrary" folder, but you'll need to set your folder synchronization mode to "Disconnected"