Can Bittorrent Sync Be Used For Game And Art Collaboration?

Zchu

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have been searching the internet and just am a bit unsure if this program is what i need.

What I want to do is use it for my game collaboration with my friend.

We work on modding games and art together. we have been using Drop box to share files... but with so many files being worked on at once it is becoming a real pain to stay all synced.

We need our game data folders to match at all times, so anything i change is updated for them, and anything they change is updated for me.

The sync will be made through the internet and not a local LAN connection.

Our largest game  folder at the moment is 50 GB.

How long would it take for a 50 GB folder to sync? Putting our internet speed aside, what is the upload seed limit for BitTorrent Sync?

It is also important it leaves the folder in its proper place, since it is located in a game data directory program file. This is why dropbox or Onedrive just doesn't work for us. because you have to use a separate folder.

Has anyone used bitTorrent Sync successfully in this manner? i have heard rumors of it not being reliable, of some files being synced but getting corrupted in the process. These files are extremely important and though i make frequent back ups, I still want to use a program I can trust.

Thanks everyone!  :D

We need our game data folders to match at all times, so anything i change is updated for them, and anything they change is updated for me.

The sync will be made through the internet and not a local LAN connection.

Our largest game  folder at the moment is 50 GB.

How long would it take for a 50 GB folder to sync? Putting our internet speed aside, what is the upload seed limit for BitTorrent Sync?

It is also important it leaves the folder in its proper place, since it is located in a game data directory program file. This is why dropbox or Onedrive just doesn't work for us. because you have to use a separate folder.

The bottleneck for sync speed will be your internet bandwidth. Sync does not impose bandwidth limits unless you tell it to.

To keep folders where you want them, you need to read and understand the help guides for setting up Sync and managing folders, and recognize that you want to start all clients in Disconnected mode (if you're using Pro). This will give you the opportunity to choose where to place each shared folder.

As for reliability, there's no such thing as bug-free software, so you should continue to maintain backups of everything you consider important, and start out syncing a subset of your data to see how it goes before you go all-in.

Besides what Trevelyan said BT Sync will do what you want. Right now there are a few missing features on the client that will make knowing if a game asset has been synced and is thus free to be worked on difficult to discern. My hope is that some sort of sync status clarification embedded within explorer will be made available sometime in the future as well as an indication through the taskbar icon. 

Back to your original question though, I want to reiterate that BT Sync will work, and furthermore is probably the most ideal solution currently available. I say this based on the premise of speed. Since it sounds like there will only be 2 clients (you and your friend) it is probably a moot point, but should your network of collaborators increase, you will see added speed benefits similar to downloading a file from more then one seed using bit torrent. This is a handicap services like Dropbox (and any other central storage type sync service) just can't offer. Of course if your download speed is saturated it wont matter, and services like Dropbox, etc. can usually saturate those speeds (thanks to Amazon's servers). Within a LAN this advantage can really be seen. 

The other advantage in your case is that you don't have any sensitive IP on a 3rd party server. 

As soon as BT Sync adds some client convenience features it will really be one of the most ideal syncing solution on the market IMHO. 

2d

Thank you for the replies!

Hmm well it is a bit discerning that there is not confidence in this Program seeing as how you not only have to purchase it, but continue to pay for it every single year =( I had hoped because of this it would be very reliable.

At this point I just can not see any alternatives other then taking a usb flash stick to my friend and updating it manually every time DX That would just be a nightmare!

I feel like if it was usable in this way there would be reviews of other people collaborating with this program the way that i need it to.