How To Get A Sync-Key From The Webui?

Hi there,

I've added a new folder in the BTSync WebUI (running on port 8888) and I'd like to add that folder to the clients I'm running. The new folder is not automatically detected, so I need a sharing key. However, in the web interface, I cannot find any location where I can generate this key. 

Where can I get the key so I can sync it to other devices?

4195c50c-11b8, could you tell us what Sync version do you use?

Generating keys was removed since 1.4 version.

If you use Sync 2.0, this versions supports classic and 2.0 folders. The new 2.0 folders cannot be added via key.To share classic folders via key (for 1.4 version and below) you need to open Sync Preferences => Advanced and activate "Show "Copy key"" option then you will be able to copy key after right-clicking on the shared folder with 1.4 icon.

You can read this article to learn differences between 1.4 and 2.0 folders.

Hi cipherplain,

On the server (Debian 8) I'm running the following:

ii  btsync                         2.0.0-2                     all          Private network P2P file synchronisation daemon(s)
ii  btsync-core                    2.0.93-1                    amd64        Private network P2P file synchronisation daemon

On my local PC (Windows) I'm running version 2.0.128 (36).

On the web interface (the server) I have 3 shared folders. 2 of those are shared with my PC and work correctly. A third one was created recently via a Mac device and connected to the server. The server interface shows me as "Owner" and shows as peers the mac, but not the PC.

I want to connect that third folder with the PC as well, but it's not automatically picked up by the PC, even though the other 2 folders are/were. Which is why I was looking for a sharing key. 

How can I best share this folder between the server and the PC as well?

Thanks!

4195c50c-11b8, do you mean that your PC just doesn't connect to the shared folder? If yes there can be a connectivity problem or something else (for example Windows Vista is not supported and 2.0 folders there don't work).

You can send us logs for analysis using this instruction or just create 1.4 folder on the Mac. To do that hold "shift" while clicking on the "Add folder" button. Then share that folder with your PC.

Hi Cipherplain,

No, in the end it turns out the mac had a different "identity". So I was able to share the mac directory with the server (the webGUI) via one of the normal sharing keys, but I guess because the mac had a different identity it wouldn't sync from the server to the PC.

I had to remove BTSync and reinstall it, and pretty much remove all traces from it so it started with a new profile which I then linked with the existing identity from the server. After that it synced with all devices. Pretty confusing and a shame there's no way to merge or change identities in the GUI. Much preferred the old way, with sharing keys for folders, but glad it's working now. Thanks for your responses :-)