Best Sync Setup

christofitis

Hello,

I am setting up BitSync to have 3 pc's have a mirrored dir on all machines. I have 2 user machines and 1 server. 

I setup the share from user 1 to sync to server. 

my questions is, Should i have the server share to user 2 or have user 1 also share to user user 2? or does it even matter?

seems that since user 1 is pushing to server, it would be bad to have server push to user 2.

hope this isnt too confusing. 

thank for any help. 

BitTorrent Sync works best when it can sync to and from as many clients as possible. Your server and user setup is irrelevant in the context of how Sync works. The more seeds (computers with the correct data) the better. This means the computer out of sync is going to be synced from (potentially) two sources instead of one. (In the event only one is in sync, then this scenario will unfold after another computer is in sync, or at least blocks/chunks of data are in sync.) This is one of BT Syncs greatest strengths. 

2d

BitTorrent Sync works best when it can sync to and from as many clients as possible. Your server and user setup is irrelevant in the context of how Sync works. The more seeds (computers with the correct data) the better. This means the computer out of sync is going to be synced from (potentially) two sources instead of one. (In the event only one is in sync, then this scenario will unfold after another computer is in sync, or at least blocks/chunks of data are in sync.) This is one of BT Syncs greatest strengths. 

2d

I see. That makes perfect sense. So my question now is Should i be using one identity on all machines, or is sharing the "read write" key just fine to all my machines i want to sync?

thanks again for the info! absolutely loving everything about this software so far. Amazing!!!

@christofitis

It depends if you are going to share more folders to your server. If yes - it makes sense to link to server and put server default mode to "Synced" so all new folders added on your client computers will automatically be also synchronized to server.

If this is the only folder (or, for example, server is going to host folders that you don't want to propagare automatically) - then you should not link server to other computers.