Don't Break Another Promise

mintwurm

Sync is prominently advertised as cross platform.

This is wrong: The most important feature of pro, selective sync, is not available on Linux.

It doesn't say so on the website.

Despite this shock, I decided to buy pro. The 2.2 release has given me confidence in your company and the features of pro (shared id for "my devices") are amazing.

The way I see it, the promise of cross platform sync is unfulfilled. Please don't release a 3.x version as a paid upgrade with true platform independency.

Right now the website is deceptive, you need to clarify the absence of selective sync on a major platform.

But if you implement it in the future that would be fine by me.

If you paywall a feature which is prominently promised right now, I would abandon sync.

@mintwurm

One can't reach absolute cross-platformity for an application. Every OS has its own features and traits. OS X allows asterisks and colons in filenames while Windows won't. Windows allows to store huge amount of data in alt streams while Linux is limited to a single FS block for an xattr. As Sync is capable of carrying main function on several platforms - synchronize the data, we believe it is cross-platform. Its also pretty much conforms for what wiki says. Note, that this peculiarity about Linux is mentioned in Knowledge Base in both articles about selective sync and Linux.

Although I would totally agree that Linux incompatibility to Selective Sync should be mentioned on purchasing page - we'll update it shortly. If you made a purchase without realizing this fact - we can surely refund you.

I can't claim if / when this feature is going to be implemented - in Linux, its much more complex to integrate with shell than in OS X and Windows. As this request was mentioned on Feature Requests forum - it definitely won't be lost.