Ability To Rename Folder So It Takes Effect On (Future) Devices

eldrin

Recently I added a folder to Sync, but shortly afterwards, decided to rename it. I was pleased to see that after I renamed the folder in Windows Explorer, BitTorrent Sync on the local machine automatically recognized the new name and updated itself. At the time when I did this, none of my other machines were turned on, and therefore none of them had even synced this newly added folder.

After turning on my other computers, I saw that they wanted to sync the folder using its original name, the name that was in effect at the moment when I first added it to Sync on the first machine.

Reading the FAQ/Documentation, I see that it is a known limitation that changing folder names takes effect on only the local machine, and that name changes are not replicated to other machines.

This is not ideal. It would be preferable if I could have name changes of folders replicated to other machines, especially if those machines have not even synced the folder ever. Right now, if I link further devices in future, they'll automatically try to use all the old/original folder names and will therefore require quite a bit of manual renaming to bring them in sync with the names on my existing devices. I'm sure there must be something that can be done to improve functionality in this area.