Bandwidth Limits

willjasen

In an environment that I'm running BitTorrent Sync in, there are two separate networks connected via VPN over a WAN. I've set the sending limit on all clients to 128 KB/sec, but it never takes effect due to Sync thinking that the networks are together on a LAN. While there is an advanced setting to limit traffic even for LAN clients, this isn't suitable because I want the maximum transfer speed on each actual LANs while maintaining the transfer limit between the separate networks.

Is there another way that achieves both goals?

By default, the bandwidth settings within Sync apply to external (i.e. non-LAN) transfers only. They can however be set to apply to both external AND local (LAN) connections by toggling the advanced "rate_limit_local_peers" setting to "true".

It's not currently possible to set different bandwidth limits for different networks.

That's what I mean though.. I get that BitTorrent Sync is using the private IP addresses of both networks (let's say 10.0.0.0/24 is one and 192.168.0.0/24 is another) but that assumes the networks are close together. In this case, they are separate networks, only joined together via VPN.

Just pointing out a case in which Sync is making an incorrect assumption that leaves no workaround other than to tear down the VPN..