Set peer-to-peer combination

ph3lix

Hi, 

Let's say I have Server-A / Server-B (RO) / PC-A (RO) / PC-B (RO) with Resilio on all of them. I want to sync FolderA between Server-A and Server-B, mainly for sending files from Server-A to Server-B. Then I want PC-A and PC-B to also sync FolderA but I want them to only download from Server-B because I need to save bandwidth on Server-A. Is this possible?

Currently I have FolderA synced on all 4 devices, and PC-A and PC-B are downloading from both Server-A and Server-B.

Thank you.

ph3lix, there are three ways how to do that.

First should always work but you need to do it manually every time: pause folder on PC-A and PC-B peer and let Server-A and Server-B to exchange the data, then unpause folder on PC-A and PC-B peer and pause on the Server-A.

Another way is to use predefined hosts or use speed limits. For example if PC-A and PC-B are located in one network and Server-A and Server-B are located in another network then servers synchronize with computers via internet. You can open Sync preferences => Advanced => Power user preferences and make sure that "rate_limit_local_peers" option is disabled. After that you can set upload or download limitation. It will work only if there are no other devices.

Third way is to use predefined hosts. If Server-A is able to discover only Server-B it won't transfer data to another peers. So you need to disable tracker and relay server in the folder preferences, make sure that "Search LAN" option is activated and input IP address and listening port of Server-B. To open folder preferences right-click on the folder in the Sync.

On 2016/8/8 at 11:43 PM, Remirus said:

ph3lix, there are three ways how to do that.

First should always work but you need to do it manually every time: pause folder on PC-A and PC-B peer and let Server-A and Server-B to exchange the data, then unpause folder on PC-A and PC-B peer and pause on the Server-A.

Another way is to use predefined hosts or use speed limits. For example if PC-A and PC-B are located in one network and Server-A and Server-B are located in another network then servers synchronize with computers via internet. You can open Sync preferences => Advanced => Power user preferences and make sure that "rate_limit_local_peers" option is disabled. After that you can set upload or download limitation. It will work only if there are no other devices.

Third way is to use predefined hosts. If Server-A is able to discover only Server-B it won't transfer data to another peers. So you need to disable tracker and relay server in the folder preferences, make sure that "Search LAN" option is activated and input IP address and listening port of Server-B. To open folder preferences right-click on the folder in the Sync.

Hi Remirus,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Actually they are all in different networks and your third method seems good.

I've set it as the attachment on Server-A, by putting Server-B's global IP and port (the one in Server-B's BT Client "listening port") but it keeps sending files to all Server-B, PC-A, PC-B :(

Is there anything else I should do?

bt.png

ph3lix, there is a way to force Sync to forget about all peers. To do that open Sync preferences => Advanced => Power user preferences and set "peer_expiration_days to 0. Wait 10-15 seconds then return previous value (7). After that Sync should forget about all peers and try to connect with them again. Because only predefined hosts activated it should try only predefined hosts. You need to do that on all peers then Server-B, PC-A, PC-B won't try to connect to Server-A.

3 hours ago, Remirus said:

ph3lix, there is a way to force Sync to forget about all peers. To do that open Sync preferences => Advanced => Power user preferences and set "peer_expiration_days to 0. Wait 10-15 seconds then return previous value (7). After that Sync should forget about all peers and try to connect with them again. Because only predefined hosts activated it should try only predefined hosts. You need to do that on all peers then Server-B, PC-A, PC-B won't try to connect to Server-A.

Thank you Remirus.

I've tried what you told me by resetting peer information and setting predefined hosts as follows:

-Server-A: Disable relay and tracker setting. Only Server-B as predefined host

-Server-B: Disable relay and tracker setting. No predefined host.

-PC-A and PC-B: Disable relay and tracker setting. Only Server-B as predefined host

First I put Server-A, PC-A, PC-B online, and I see that they don't connect to each other, which is good. The problem comes when I put Server-B online. As soon as I put Server-B online, all peers are discovered even on PC-A and PC-B, which makes them start downloading from both Server-A and Server-B. It seems that Server-B, which is working as an intermediate, is sharing the peer information to all peers.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks again.