Heavy CPU/HD/RAM activity

francois01

Hello,

the workload for my HD seems a bit intense and it takes constantly between 2 and 15% of my CPU (i7-4770k). It is also constantly taking up 800MB of RAM.

I have set two folders (one on system drive, one on secondary ('data') drive) to sync with my Synology NAS. The folder on the system drive is a few GB and the one on the secondary drive is 600GB. Initial sync took 2 hours and all seems to be working as it should. But:

CPU load is very noticeable! In certain applications I have to close the resilio application to regain performance. That might not be noticeable for office users, but I certainly 'feel' the loss. How can it take 2-15% of my i7 4770k constantly, even when not syncing or indexing. What is it doing?

The folder on the secondary drive was extremely often in an indexing status and I could hear it working every few minutes. I read similar posts in the forum and set the  folder_rescan_interval to 7200. That solved it to a point but the indexing still seems quite over the top. And I mean not because it does it every 2 hours but the workload for the HD seems heavy. I think resilio sync will cause a considerably shorter lifespan of my drives. Maybe it is doing the same to my system drive (SSD) but obviously I can't hear that. If it is constantly reading/writing to my SSD then this would be worrying. If I turn down the indexing to once per day then I don't need a sync application. In that case I would revert to a simple rsync app like I used before. That also didn't use up any CPU or RAM while doing nothing.

Can you please provide information about the reason for the CPU load, RAM usage and possibly problems for my HD and SSD?

Thanks
Richard