SOLVED: Ubuntu 20.04: Changing "listen" : "127.0.0.1:8888" to "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888" in /etc/resilio-sync/config.json has no effect on allowing other machines to access web UI

jdrch

I'm running the latest Resilio Sync Home Pro on Ubuntu 20.04. I'd like to be able to access the Web UI from any machine on my network. Currently the setting to disable listening only to 127.0.0.1 is grayed out (see attached image) with the message Connection settings overridden by config, as shown below:

Sync Home Pro HP ProBook 4530s.png

To find out which config file was being used, I opened System Monitor, filtered the Processes tab for rslsync, and then looked at the Command Line column. There I found /

usr/bin/rslsync --config /etc/resilio-sync/config.json

Opening /etc/resilio-sync/config.json reads:

{
    "storage_path" : "/var/lib/resilio-sync/",
    "pid_file" : "/var/run/resilio-sync/sync.pid",

"webui" :
    {
        "listen" : "127.0.0.1:8888"
    }
}

Question:

How do I enable the listening only setting in the UI via editing the config.json file? Changing

"listen" : "127.0.0.1:8888" 

to

"listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888"

has no effect on the web UI after I restart the Resilio Sync service using

# service resilio-sync restart

If I use

"listen" : "0.0.0.0"

instead and then restart the service, the web UI is no longer accessible at all.

Any ideas?

Ha, I just realized the message Connection settings overridden by config actually means This state of this setting is not controlled or indicated in the web UI. Using

"listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888"

does in fact enable the web UI's accessibility to other machines on the LAN, it's just that the web UI won't indicate that to you.

I'm now able to access Sync on the Ubuntu 20.04 machine from other machines on the LAN via Ubuntu20.04.IP.Address:8888.

Problem solved!

-----

UPDATE

If you're running Resilio Sync under a particular username (such as your own) instead of under the default rslsync user, the relevant json file is found at:

~home/username/.config/resilio-sync/config.json