No conflict resolution?

davew_uk

A pretty common situation came up last night - I edited a shared file on two computers last night while they were logged out of Sync. When I realised, and tried to sync up, instead of taking the newest version of the file, it took the oldest version and my changes were wiped out.

What I found unusual is that there was *no* attempt to flag to me that there was a conflict - nothing in the history suggested that something had happened, its only when i reloaded the file did I realise I'd lost my changes. Now I'm worried because I've used Sync on several computers to sync up some large folders of files that had been previously kept up to date with Synctoy and there would inevitably be the odd conflict as we didn't run it every day.

In the event of a conflict could you please ensure that the Sync app asks a human which version of the file they want to keep?

Also, although I have "Delete Files to Sync Trash" *unchecked*, when a file deletion occurs on one computer the corresponding file on the other computers is not being moved to the desktop trash as the manual suggests that it should. I regard this as an essential feature and the app is pretty much unsafe without it.

What I found unusual is that there was *no* attempt to flag to me that there was a conflict

Please bear in mind that BitTorrent Sync is still only in an "alpha" phase!

Conflict resolution is on the "Wishlist", and the developers have also indicated that a "versioning" system is also planned.

when a file deletion occurs on one computer the corresponding file on the other computers is not being moved to the desktop trash as the manual suggests that it should

The manual does say "depending on OS preferences" in relation to deleting to system trash, or deleting outright. If you've set your OS preferences to delete files outright instead of them going to system trash/recycle bin, BitTorrent Sync will do the same

I regard this as an essential feature and the app is pretty much unsafe without it.

Maybe a silly question, but if it's that essential to your particular needs that files are not deleted outright but can still be restored/a backup kept... why not enable "Delete Files to Sync Trash"??

Conflict resolution is on the "Wishlist", and the developers have also indicated that a "versioning" system is also planned.

I have to say, if versioning allows me to recover full files & folders to any point in date (Using dates/hashes/contents of files/etc), then I'll happily switch from my current method of backing up (Which, is very 'hacky' and ugly) to bitsync in a second for all of my syncing needs, however, for now, I'm using it as a overflow for Dropbox.

The manual does say "depending on OS preferences" in relation to deleting to system trash, or deleting outright. If you've set your OS preferences to delete files outright instead of them going to system trash/recycle bin, BitTorrent Sync will do the same

My OS preference is to move files to the recycle bin. So I guess that's a bug.

Maybe a silly question, but if it's that essential to your particular needs that files are not deleted outright but can still be restored/a backup kept... why not enable "Delete Files to Sync Trash"??

Because its a hidden folder, and users won't see it unless a) they have view hidden items enabled and B) they check it on a regular basis. The system recycle bin is way more intuitive for average folk and I don't know why it isn't the default (even if, as yet, it doesn't work).

My OS preference is to move files to the recycle bin. So I guess that's a bug.

Yup - sounds like it!

Because its a hidden folder, and users won't see it unless a) they have view hidden items enabled and B) they check it on a regular basis. The system recycle bin is way more intuitive for average folk and I don't know why it isn't the default (even if, as yet, it doesn't work).

Agreed - I've no doubt that in time, as BitTorrent Sync matures out of "alpha" phase, there will be a more user-friendly way to view/restore files from the hidden .SyncTrash via the main interface (the same applies to making changes to the .SyncIgnore file - another "hidden" file that many user's won't see!)

Was going to let this one go by but I've got my pedantic head on. In the old days when I was a wee young coder, ALPHA testing refers to testing programmers did on their own code while they were working on it. It would only be after alpha testing was complete that you could move to BETA testing where you'd open it up to other users. So if the likes of you and me are testing this app, then is in beta B)

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...