File "is modified on disk", and sync is stopped

sylar

Hi,

I have a problem with a fresh new sync folder. The sync seems to work correctly, but I have in the log :

[20130422 13:55:15] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file A LIRE/Cours/Géométrie Diff.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1268735002 stored:1268757807) - rejecting until file info is updated
[20130422 13:55:15] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file A LIRE/Thèses/Busson.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1262540501 stored:1268757665) - rejecting until file info is updated
[20130422 13:55:15] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file A LIRE/Thèses/MasterThesis.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1262540454 stored:1268757665) - rejecting until file info is updated
[20130422 13:55:15] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file A LIRE/Thèses/Valin.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1262540457 stored:1268757665) - rejecting until file info is updated
[20130422 13:55:15] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file Biblio/10 IROS/Danès.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1306159750 stored:1306239614) - rejecting until file info is updated

So the 2 clients (one on a mac, the other on a NAS) seems to be stuck (they both indicate that there is an ongoing transfer), but nothing is actually happening and the message above is repeating again and again.

Any idea on the problem?

Yep, you're right.

I have just checked, and yes, these files are the only one I have with accented characters.

I hope this does not mean that I will not be able to sync file with such characters ! (I'm French ...)

So, how to cope with that?

It depends on the OS. I assume your Mac is set up correctly to use UTF-8.

Then you need to set the encoding of the environment to UTF-8 in your NAS too.

I don't know what your NAS is running but you can do that in linux and most unix OS by putting a file in /etc/profile.d/ with the following content:

export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
export LC_COLLATE='C'

After creating the file either reboot or call `source /etc/profile.d/file`.

I'm quite surprised since I am using unison right now to perform the synchronization between my NAS and two apple laptops, and I don't have any problem with locales.

BTW, I am juste adding the UTF8 support to my NAS to check if all is OK now.

So, after setting the encoding to UTF8 on both the mac and the NAS, I still get :

[20130422 17:55:02] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file A LIRE/Cours/Géométrie Diff.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1268735002 stored:1268757807) - rejecting until file info is updated
[20130422 17:55:02] LoadTorrent: requesting to load file Biblio/10 IROS/Danès.pdf which is modified on disk (cur:1306159750 stored:1306239614) - rejecting until file info is updated

This time, only 2 files seem to be problematic.

So, I'm not sure if the problem is related to the encoding.

BUT, I have just noticed that I have some problem with time settings: the mac and the NAS do not have exactly the same hour. I have sync the NAS with a NTP server, but the mac can't right now do the same (NTP standard port is blocked at work). Can this explain the problem? And if yes, why only 2 files are concerned?

It's working now !

In order to avoid the initial upload from the mac to my NAS, I have copied the folder I want to sync with BTsync from the unison "repository" to a new location on the NAS. In this case, it seems I have a problem with some files with non-standard characters in their name.

But if I start a new fresh sync, with an empty folder on the NAS at the beginning, then all is OK and the two folders are correcly synced. So I guess I will have to upload all the data from the mac to the NAS to have a correct synchronization between them ...