".!sync" files -- what are they?

Hello BTSync, I just noticed that in my shared music folder I have around 250 copies of certain songs with the .!sync file extension.

I couldn't find anything searching on the forum or FAQ, but I recall something about these being copies BTSync makes of contested files. Is this true? What are the conditions for the creation of .!sync copies of files?

I believe that every time a song is played in our DJing software, the song file's metadata is updated. How does BTSync handle changes like this?

Should I keep these .!sync files, or trash em?

Thanks for the help.

".!Sync" files are temporary files created by BitTorrent Sync to receive incoming data transfers. Once a file is fully received, it is renamed to have its .!Sync extension removed

For example, let's say a file named "tune.mp3" is to be transferred from Device A to Device B. At the start of the transfer a new file "tune.mp3.!Sync" will be created in the destination folder of Device B. Data will then be added to this "temporary" file from Device A as it is received. Once device B has fully received all the data for the file "tune.mp3" from Device A, the temporary file "tune.mp3.!Sync" on Device B will then be renamed to "tune.mp3", and voila! you have your completed file transferred!

If you have .!Sync files in your shared folders, they are likely to be files currently in the process of being transferred, from other devices, and therefore you should let the transfers complete on their own, and the .!Sync extension will be removed once complete.

If you delete these incomplete .!Sync files, it will cause BitTorrent Sync to transfer the compete original file again

Hi folks,

I find .!sync-files in directories generated from svn, thus directories that are called .svn. These files are small text files, therefore, I would be surprised, if these where about to be transferred for a long time. Is there any other explanation? I am using version 1.1.15 on a linux Server to sync with a Windows machine at home.