Sync listed as complete, but.!sync file remains, and data is missing

battrd

As others, I love BTS. Thanks so much! Also I'm glad to see the new changes made in the recent patch.

However, a new problem has started occurring for me once I upgraded from 1.0.X to 1.1.27. Every day I make changes to 98 files, which grow by ~3-5 KB a day. These changes are made on one computer, and changes are only made while that computer does not have internet access (no connection at the remote field site where data is downloaded, which updates the 98 files).

When I return to a location with internet access, the files sync almost immediately... or so it would seem. There are 5 computers involved, and all of the computers are in the same general area, but are in different buildings (the buildings are 30 yards apart, but are not on the same local network). The computer I take into the field is a PC (call it Field PC), and is the computer that downloads the data and updates the files. In the same building as Field PC, is another PC, call it Lab PC. In a nearby building are 3 computers w/ OSX.

The 3 macs receive the sync'd files just fine. However, the Lab PC ends up with a few of the files remaining as !.sync. For example, say the file is Test.csv. After the sync is complete, I see the Test.csv file, but I also see a Test.csv.!sync file. Sometimes the post-sync Test.csv file is full-sized, and sometimes it is about 3-5KB smaller than it should be. Oddly, in either case (full or too small), Test.csv is apparently corrupted or missing some sort of information. It is difficult to tell what exactly is missing from Test.csv, b/c the extension of this file is actually ".icd", and is a data format for proprietary software (iChart by NexSens).

So the sync works for the macs that aren't on the LAN, but it doesn't work for the other PC that is on the LAN. If I make extra copies of the 98 files, delete the originals, then paste them back in on Lab PC, the sync seems to work. I tend to do this delete-copy/paste-sync more slowly... ~30 files at a time, rather than the 98 that occurs naturally when I return from the field. Right now the 98 files are each about 30 KB.

Maybe this is a problem only when files are overwritten, or only when syncing over the LAN. I cannot tell what exactly is going on here. I didn't have the problem before the new version of BTS (I'd gone through this whole routine once a day for about 55 days in a row w/o issue).

I have log files for Lab PC (~16MB), Field PC (~21MB), and for one of my mac computers (~59MB). I logged in debug mode for about an hour (?), which was necessary to capture the entire process. The problem was reproduced during this logging, but obviously the files are too large to attach to the forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am having problems too. Lots of !sync and syncpart files showing up at odd times. Also an getting a fair amount of files that start with a ~$ such as ~$ilname.xxx Not 100% repeatable. I also have one computer that wants to completely re-index at every startup. Another issue is that the history tab says computers have synced but the devices tab indicates something is still working.

This causes me some time to go through each computer remotely and clean them up at the end of the day.

I am running 1.1.127 on all six machines. I even uninstalled/reinstalled on three.

It is a fantastic program, just please either help me trouble shoot or maybe debug.

Thanks

I am having problems too. Lots of !sync and syncpart files showing up at odd times. Also an getting a fair amount of files that start with a ~$ such as ~$ilname.xxx Not 100% repeatable. I also have one computer that wants to completely re-index at every startup. Another issue is that the history tab says computers have synced but the devices tab indicates something is still working.

This causes me some time to go through each computer remotely and clean them up at the end of the day.

I am running 1.1.127 on all six machines. I even uninstalled/reinstalled on three.

It is a fantastic program, just please either help me trouble shoot or maybe debug.

Thanks

I'm having the same issue on several computers. They are all running Mac OSX Lion. I have to keep deleting ~filename so as to access the new files.

Believe I have the same problem. BTS 1.1.27 running on Win 7 and Linux plug (Debian Wheezy). Initial syncing of seven Win folders worked fine...all files appeared on Linux plug (ranged from 20files/2Gb to 5000+files/70+Gb). Subsequently added files to three of the original files on Win. BTS on Win recognized new files as indicated in Folders Tab, but files never synced to Linux box. Tried restarting BTS on moth machines. No go :-(.

kos13,

Dunno. I did not send a file specifically, but would be more than happy to. I opened a support tickets, the fist went unanswered after I updated the problem, the second is still ongoing (I know your guys are busy). Neither have asked for logs.

Be more than happy to send the info. What and who do you want them sent to?

Correction. The log files are too large to send, 100MB+. I left the issue on the open ticket.

Please advise.

If you compress the log files to a .zip, the file size will be reduced drastically. On OSX, the simple right-click -->> "compress" reduced a log file from 16.5 MB to 516 KB.