Sync open files?

mcfly_98

• 6 months later...

However, we should add that there is a problem (an unresolved bug discussed on various threads) to do with how BitTorrent Sync handles some open files. If files are open it seems that connected machines somehow see the file as missing and requiring transferring back to the machine with the open file. It it is possible to overwrite the open file then this results in potential (and actual) data loss.

For example many text editors open files, but do not lock them. The open file will then be overwritten by an identical or older version of the file from a different server. The editor might alert the user to the fact that the currently edited file has be altered by another process (or might simply reload the older version of the file).

It seems to me that this is a critical issue affecting safety aspects of the software, and must be addressed soon.

For example many text editors open files, but do not lock them. The open file will then be overwritten by an identical or older version of the file from a different server. The editor might alert the user to the fact that the currently edited file has be altered by another process (or might simply reload the older version of the file).

It seems to me that this is a critical issue affecting safety aspects of the software, and must be addressed soon.

emacs on Windows behaves like this, and it's quite nice to be able to save and have the saved version sync immediately. On the other hand, if I save an Excel or Word file, it won't sync until I close it. I can see that's a protection against clobbering changes, but I pretty much never want to operate that way. I must say I prefer emacs's behavior, and it warns you when you try to edit or save a file that's been altered on another client. But yes, you could mess up due to your own inattention and lose changes, and I've done that, too.

Yup, I agree that it is potentially good to transfer an open file before it is closed. But why oh why is Synch seeing an open file as not existing, transferring files back from another server, and then when sending the changed file back again going around in an infinite loop at the receiving end. Many folk seem to be having this issue, e.g  http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/23392-forever-scrolling-history-of-failed-to-download-and-finished-syncing/

• 1 month later...

Having just lost a buch of files to this bug, I am having to remove Bittorrent Sync from all of my machines. Several of my files subject to this bug were overwritten by older files from another machine.

I do wish they would sort it out, or at least try to respond to work with users -- there is little point progressing this software (or commercializing it, which would seem very worthwhile) when critical bugs (i.e . those that lead to data loss and reputational loss) remain unaddressed.

Hi all,

Usually, if BTSync can't open a file due to lock by another app - it just skips it.

harold19,

I'd like to catch this issue if possible. Is scenario easily reproduced in your environment? What kind of files do you edit and which app do you use to edit it? Could you please share more details so I can repro it in my lab?