Issue: 1.1.70 replaces new files with older ones from remote server

hhz

Hi!

• running btsync 1.1.70 on Linux (Ubuntu)
  • three machines (home, office, laptop)
  • time settings are ok, using ntp on all three machines
  • using btsync to keep track of my FLAC collection while re-tagging files
  • there's a folder Audio/Archiv/flac/ that contains a digital archive of my CD collection, ripped to FLAC files
  • there's another folder Audio/Sonos/flac2mp3/ that contains MP3s encoded from these FLAC files, so that I can put them on my MP3 player
  • on August 27, I
    • stopped btsync on the office machine
    • threw away the old flac2mp3 folder
    • created a new empty one
    • and re-encoded the whole folder from the original FLACs with different lame settings
    • resulting files had newer timestamp (Aug 27)
    • then started btsync again

[*]expected behaviour would have been that btsync would now begin to replace the whole flac2mp3 folder on the other two machines with the newer files from the office machine

[*]but for unknown reasons, the office machine now began to replace some, but not all of its newer files with older version from the other two machines

[*]Before sync:

md5sum * ; ls -lh *

c79f5bfc13f17347ca5531fab00d5b30 11 - Wasted Kisses.mp3

-rw-rw-r-- 1 user group 4,7M Aug 27 18:44 11 - Wasted Kisses.mp3

[*]After sync:

e2aa07f2ff9d49fa9d8ba6a41073e253 11 - Wasted Kisses.mp3

-rw-rw-r-- 1 user group 4,7M Aug 21 15:24 11 - Wasted Kisses.mp3

Sent a redacted log for this file to the syncapp@ email address. Posting here so that others can report if they have seen the same behaviour.

Thanks!

I'm having a same problem all windows PC's running 1.1.48, If I update a file on one PC while the other two are off when the other two come back on the file I updated reverts back to a copy from one of the PC's that was off at the time. Also having another issue related to this if I delete a file on one PC when the other two are off it comes back once the other PC's are back on. Also why cant I press enter on the post.

I don't have such a complex setup and thus I haven't experienced those problems. But if what you're explaining is the current behaviour of btsync (and not some kind of bug due to your settings or similar): WOW, what a disappointment. From a user perspective you expect btsync to do a correct synchronisation, so new files should overwrite files with the same name if they are older.

• 2 months later...

Bittorent sync has been working great so far for me for 2-3 months until now. All I did was adding another computer running Debian to my setup. I realize since then that file has been synced 1-2 days late. I lost my progress on several assignments for schools. Luckily, they are stored in the .sync_archive folder. I turned bittorent sync off and use rsync manually for now. It is a pity because it is such a great product when it works.

Bittorent sync has been working great so far for me for 2-3 months until now. All I did was adding another computer running Debian to my setup. I realize since then that file has been synced 1-2 days late. I lost my progress on several assignments for schools. Luckily, they are stored in the .sync_archive folder. I turned bittorent sync off and use rsync manually for now. It is a pity because it is such a great product when it works.

What BTSync versions are you using?

There was a bug in apk for android when app overwrites files with older versions.

It should be fixed in the latest 1.2.12 apk (http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/android/BTSync-1.2.12.apk).

Thanks!

I did not use the Android version, only Ubuntu / Debian as described in the first post. I have never received a response to my bug report (via mail) or a specific reply to this thread here.

Since that bug report, I have stopped using btsync here for fear of further data loss.

Since that bug report, I have stopped using btsync here for fear of further data loss.

Firstly, remember that Sync is currently only "beta" software - if you're worried about data loss, you probably shouldn't be using "beta" software to synchronize your important data!

Secondly, Android aside - what versions of Sync are you using on you other devices? This thread originally relates to 1.1.70 - this is a very old version are Sync. Are you using the latest version (1.2.73) on all your devices and still seeing this issue?

I'm very aware that this is beta software.

Because of this, I sent a bug report to the email address that the developers asked us beta users to send bug reports to. Also, I wrote about the issue here in this forum.

To both, there was no response from the developers. Forgive me for not trying to recreate a bug when the developers don't announce that they looked into it. I checked the release announcements and saw no mentioning of it, either.

Also, I wasn't not the one with the Android issue or the almost-lost homework, that's dephiros.

• 2 weeks later...