Cpu Utilisation Is Too High

I'm running Bittorrent Sync Version 1.2.82 on Mac OS X 10.9.1 on 3 machines, and I find the CPU utilisation is just too high, and my battery life on my laptops has degraded significantly.  

CPU usage will range from 100% quite frequently down to around 10-15% but even when nothing happens.  I find it's often reindexing my files (339,000, I realise I have a few), and changing a few files can get it off on a tangent.

I migrated across from Dropbox to Bittorrent Sync because I love the idea of not storing my data in the cloud, however I am finding the loss in battery life, the constant  spinning of my fans, and the degraded performance is getting me to the point where I may unfortunately move back.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, or how this could be fixed?

Thanks,

Matt

Does anyone know what could be causing this, or how this could be fixed?

It's likely due to the fact that Sync is currently in "Beta" - therefore, some beta builds have a higher CPU utilization than others. I'd expect this to be addressed in a later, stable, build.

However, in the meantime, the amount of CPU usage that Sync is related to the number of files being indexed/monitored/synced. Short of reducing the number of files you're syncing (not particularly practical), there are some advanced settings you could "tweak" that may lead to a reduction in your CPU levels. These include:

• Increase the value of "folder_rescan_interval"
  • Set "lan_encrypt_data" to false
  • Disable "Search LAN"

• 1 year later...

In addition to the "BitTorrent Sync"-process having a high CPU, its rotating icon in the status bar will probably also cause the WindowServer-process to have a high CPU. It seems like this is a bug on the Mac (Google for: WindowServer High CPU Mac). I don't know if it's on all Macs, but it's on my MacBook Pro with Yosemite. If I pause the syncing, the WindowServer-process gets a low CPU.

Suggestion to the developers:

Please test if the CPU of the WindowServer-process drops by either removing the animating icon from the status bar OR (probably better?) by lowering the update frequency of the icon.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by jola16