Files "locked" In Ubuntu?

AndyIbanez

I use BTSync mostly to get files from an external server. Currently I'm downloading data from a server with a whooping 1.2 TBs in audio and videos files. When a folder is done downloading, I move it to a local external hard drive.

I have added the folder from the remote server as a read-only server on my side.  I can copy the files to a different place, but I cannot delete them.

How can I delete files from my BTSync folder that have a "lock" in them? They can't be sent to trash and when I click delete, they won't because "Permission denied".

Once I download the files from the server, I relocate the files from the server to a different directory as to prevent other people from downloading the same files I already have. If I can't delete the folders locally, will BTSync at least pick up the changes eventually and remove the moved folders from my side?

• 4 weeks later...

Can you please right click on the files that have a lock and check the permissions?

Either that or open up a terminal window (Ctrl + Alt + t) and navigate to the folder and use the command "ls -la"

The options "la" will show all the files (Including hidden) and also list the owner, group, and permissions for the files.

You might need to change the ownership.

Hi AndyIbanez,

If you delete your files on a remote server, it will be deleted on other peers as well, including read-only peers. If you want to make sure that Sync is not locking any of your files - you can shut down the Sync. When running - it has to open your files and re-check them for changes periodically. Also, you can reduce this period of checking on your read-only peer by adjusting folder_rescan_interval parameter in advanced settings.