Portable Mode Doesn't Display

wpwiz.net

Hi there,

I was looking for a way to make bittorrent sync portable or download a pre-compiled portable version. I saw the below thread which confirmed that the "portable mode" installation feature was somehow buggy:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/25271-how-to-install-btsync-on-a-usb-stick-windows-7-32bit/

Question: when can we expect a release that will fix this issue? Alternatively, is there  a to one of the cited, older versions of the application, where the "portable mode" function still works?

Appreciate your support, it's a fantastic application!

www.wpwiz.net

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the below thread which confirmed that the "portable mode" installation feature was somehow buggy:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/25271-how-to-install-btsync-on-a-usb-stick-windows-7-32bit/

Question: when can we expect a release that will fix this issue? Alternatively, is there  a to one of the cited, older versions of the application, where the "portable mode" function still works?

As indicated in my original response in the thread you link to, the last known build that had the "portable mode" install option that I was able to determine appears to be 1.2.24. Later builds haven't had this option - I've no idea why! ..but I'll try and find out why and report back!

In the meantime, Sync 1.2.24 IS still available to download, however, I wouldn't recommend using earlier "Beta" builds of Sync - it's always advisable to use the most up-to-date build available, which at time of writing is 1.2.82.

That said, I'll do a little testing myself with 1.2.24, and see if it's possible to directly perform an inline update from a "portable install" of 1.2.24 to 1.2.82 and for it to remain "portable" in the process - if so, this would be a potential solution, and I will post instructions accordingly!

...so watch this space!

OK, Folks! - Here's how to get the latest build of Sync running in "Portable Mode" off your USB stick or Memory Card:

Sync_Portable1_2_82.png

So, it's a little fiddly, but here goes:

Step 1: Download Sync 1.2.24 to your USB stick (NOTE: This is an older build of Sync - not the latest, and so should only be downloaded for following these specific steps - if you're not trying to run Sync in "Portable Mode", download 1.2.82 instead)

Step 2: Run the file you've downloaded (BTSyn-1.2.4.exe) from your USB stick. When running it from your USB stick, the installer will show the "Portable Mode" option - select this option and click "Next":

SYNCPortable_Mode.png

Step 3: Sync 1.2.24 will now be installed to your USB stick, where it will run in "Portable Mode". However, 1.1.24 is not the latest build of Sync available, so in order to get the latest build, 1.2.82 running in "Portable Mode", you will then need to do the following:

Step 4: Download and Install Sync 1.2.82 onto your computer (not your USB stick), and once installed, copy its main "BTSync.exe" program file (you'll find this file in C:\Program Files\BitTorrent Sync, if you've used the default install options) over to your USB stick (replacing the executable file on your USB stick with the same name)

Step 5 (Optional): Uninstall Sync 1.2.82 from your computer if you don't need it (we only installed it so we could grab a copy of the main executable for our memory stick)

..and Voila! You will then be able to run Sync 1.2.82 from your USB stick in "Portable Mode"

Note: In my testing, running 1.2.24 in "Portable Mode" and then performing a check for updates did alert me to the fact that 1.2.82 was available, however, this didn't appear to download/install when running in "Portable Mode", hence why you'll also need to install 1.2.82 onto your computer, then copy the main 1.2.82 executable across!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: According to the developers, "Portable Mode" was intentionally removed from recent builds "due to higher priority tasks" taking precedence in the development of Sync. However, the developers do inform me that "Hopefully, we'll get back to it [portable mode] in future". As such, if using my "workaround" outlined above, please be aware that running the latest build of Sync in "Portable Mode" is technically unsupported at this time.

Edited by GreatMarko