New To Bts, Questions Regarding Renaming Folders And Snapshots

jlacroix

Hi guys,

I'm just getting started with BTS, and I'm glad to now have it working (thanks to you guys). Now that I've spent a few days with it, I have a few questions and didn't want to clog the forum making a separate topic for each.

1.) There was at least one instance recently where I renamed a folder on one machine, but all machines ended up with the folder under the new name as well as the old name existing at the same time (duplicated). The only theoretical reason I can think of that might cause this is the date/time not being synced on every machine, but it is. Is there any reason this may occur other than date/time being off?

2.) I like to take snapshots (images) of my machines in case I need to restore them. I'm under the impression that I could set up the syncs and build them into the image, since BTS works from date/time stamps anyway which I would think would override whatever is in the image. Are there any potential downsides into building BTS into an image?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I can't solve your first problem but I can tell you that you are not alone. I have the same problem and came across this:

"We are aware of this bug and are doing our best to fix it. For now the recommendation would be not to change the case of symbols once you've created directory in the Sync folder."

If you change the case of a folder name it is replicated.  

Hi jlacroix,

1. The issue is known only if you rename the folder which changing case. Did you rename the folder in a different way and got the folder duplication issue? If yes, this is a new issue which need to be investigated. More details (OS, BTSync version, logs) are appreciated.

2. Should work fine. Just note, that it won't sync files immediately after you roll back the snapshot - it needs to contact peers, update the directory tree and all the changes, etc.

Hi jlacroix,

1. The issue is known only if you rename the folder which changing case. Did you rename the folder in a different way and got the folder duplication issue? If yes, this is a new issue which need to be investigated. More details (OS, BTSync version, logs) are appreciated.

2. Should work fine. Just note, that it won't sync files immediately after you roll back the snapshot - it needs to contact peers, update the directory tree and all the changes, etc.

No, I wasn't changing the case in the file name. It was an actual rename. For example, in one instance I noticed a mispelling of an MP3 file name that I had on my system. I renamed "Carnivor.mp3" to "Carnivore.mp3" and then shortly after, I ended up with both "Carnivor.mp3" and "Carnivore.mp3".

It is necessary to have full logs enabled when issue pops up, otherwise it won't get into full log. You can disable logs to save the HDD space (full logging is pretty space-consuming), but short version of log usually is less useful in issue analysis.

I haven't been able to reproduce this in several days. I'm not sure if it's fixed or if I've been lucky. Should I leave the logs running just in case? I'm not sure if there are any downsides to having the logging turned on long-term.

Thanks!