Understanding The Mobile App: How Does Storage Work

MisterRider

Hi all,

I had a question about how the BTsync app works, specifically on an iphone.

I have:

1. set up a sync folder for my Music Library
  2. downloaded and installed the Sync App for iPhone
  3. scanned the QR code
  4. opened the app and seen my Music Library folder (wh00t!)

So now, at this point, I see the folder on my iPhone. I do *not8 have automatic downloads on.

What is the behavior of the app if I:

• tap the Music Library folder (now I see all my artist folders) -  will the entire folder download to my phone to be stored locally?
  • tap the folder called "Sting" (now I see "Ten Summoner's Tales" - again, will the entire folder download to my phone to be stored locally?
  • tap the folder called "Ten Summoner's Tales" - now I see the list of MP3s. Again, what is the phone doing? What gets stored?
  • tap one of the MP3s - at this point, there is a green checkmark on the file. I assume *now* the file gets stored locally, because I can play it shortly thereafter

This would be an interesting scenario for a video portfolio. You could store the files on a server and choose which ones you would take with you on your iPad for client viewing.

I've read the (short) litt on the app - but I'm still not clear on the actual storage behavior. I have a huge library, and don't want it to overload my phone.

Any help appreciated - thanks!

MR

Hi MR,

Your deductions were correct: unless you enable automatic downloads for the folder, nothing will be downloaded by default onto your phone. Tapping onto folders does not download the entire folder contents. Tapping a file in this mode downloads the file and you should see a progress bar and a green tick mark once it is finished. If you swipe the file to the left, you can remove the file again.

So in essence, you can use this easily for your video portfolio.