A Few Questions About Working Without "the Cloud"

Shonari

Just a few question that im sure the answer is no to, im just looking for solutions to make this a complete dropbox replacement.

I am a fan of the cloud as you can still access files if the originating computer is turned off or offline. From what I understand, if the files are not yet synced to the new device, the primary computer will have to be on and online.

1. As the files dont reside on the cloud, if my computer is off will my second device be able to access the files?
  2. Do both devices need to be on to sync files
  3. What if the internet on the remote computer goes out, will the file continue to download or just hang?

If the answer is no to these questions, whats the best way to tackle a cloudless environment? Will there be third party cloud options?

At least one computer/device with the files needs to be turned on. You can run btsync on a NAS, server, laptop, your phone, tablet, etc to have multiple copies of the data. So long as one of them is online, you'll be able to sync onto a new device.

There's no server involved here, so you're basically providing your own cloud with all of your devices running Sync.

There may eventually be solutions that provide hosted btsync, but in the meantime, you'll need to do that yourself.