Change Location Of The .sync Database And Archives

kyleday

Hello-

I'm wondering if it would be possible or a future update could enable a setting in Bittorrent Sync to change the actual location of the .Sync database and .SyncArchive folders/etc.  I'd like to have BitTorrent Sync sync a folder but not actually save any details INSIDE that specific folder (I'd like to tell Bit Torrent Sync another location to store its database/archive/etc.).  Is this possible?  I could use Windows/Mac/Linux (I don't care which system is required) I just want to do this.

Any hope?

Hi,

Actually BTSync stores its database, settings and service data in a special folder separately, which can be adjusted when running BTSync with config file.

Still it have to put some data (like shareID, syncignore, syncarchive, etc) inside the sync folders. Do i understand correctly that you want to reconfigure the location of this service data which is in the sync folder?

On Windows you can use a junction.

Syntax:

mklink [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] link target
    /D – Creates a directory symbolic link. Default is a file symbolic link.
    /H – Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
    /J – Creates a Directory Junction.
    link – Specifies the new symbolic link name.
    target – Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link refers to.

So you go to:
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

open a command-window with administrator rights and issue (as an example):

mklink /J "BitTorrent Sync" "D:\WHEREVER_YOU_WANT_THIS\BitTorrent Sync"

Have this running here, works just fine.

Hi,

Actually BTSync stores its database, settings and service data in a special folder separately, which can be adjusted when running BTSync with config file.

Still it have to put some data (like shareID, syncignore, syncarchive, etc) inside the sync folders. Do i understand correctly that you want to reconfigure the location of this service data which is in the sync folder?

Yes this is exactly what I mean. I would like to reconfigure the location of the shareID, syncignore, syncarchive, etc from inside the selected sync folder to another location of my choosing. Edited by kyleday

Hi,

Bump... 

Yes this is what I would like.