Is There A Case For A .syncinclude File?

basilh

A couple of scenarios I've come across that make .SyncIgnore somewhat clumsy to use.

1. Doing syncs on multiple folders results in lots of .SyncXXX files and folders being created within subfolders of a root directory;
  2. The WebUI or client GUI view becomes quickly cluttered as a result of multiple folder sync; and
  3. Adding new apps may result in new subfolders of the root directory being created. .SyncIgnore under the root directory has to updated to exclude these as, more often than not, the subfolders aren't of interest to the user, This potentially makes .SyncIgnore under the root directory a relatively high maintenance file.

If BTSync had a SyncInclude option, the issues above disappear. The .SyncInclude file would reside in the root directory and only include those subfolders the user wants to back up.

The GUI view would could then show just the devices that are being backed up rather than a cluttered view of a collection of device subfolders.

The .SyncXXX files would only appear in the root folder. .SyncInclude would be a relatively low maintenance file. Thoughts?

PS: Even better would be a .SyncInclude and .SyncIgnore sections in a file ;)

I agree that the ability to have a .SyncInclude file, allowing you to specify which files/folders you want to include in a sync (rather than those you wish to exclude, as is the current case with .SyncIgnore) would be very useful in a number of scenarios!

It has been suggested on several previous occasions by a number of people (myself included!), but do also add your suggestion to the Wishlist!