Trouble Syncing My Desktop

jcarver1112

I'm assuming you're referring to a Windows desktop? ..and I assume you're trying to sync your entire profile (documents, pictures, music, etc) rather than just the shortcut icons on your desktop?

In which case, you need to be careful and understand exactly what you're syncing - if you've simply added your entire C:\Users\username folder structure to Sync, this will likely never completely Sync with your other devices.

The reason being is that this folder contains a number of files which Sync may not be able to access (i.e. temporary files currently open/locked/in use). Also, the permissions of user profile folders may be such that they are only accessible when that user is logged in (i.e. if your profile is at C:\Users\Jack, you may not have access to C:\Users\Jill)

Additionally, if you're syncing your entire C:\Users\username folder, this folder also contains Sync's database which needs to remain unique to that device (each device you're syncing between needs to maintain its own record of what's been/is being synced with that device).

For this reason, if you are trying to sync your entire C:\Users\username folder you would need to setup some exclusion rules in your .SyncIgnore file to ignore things like C:\Users\username\App Data\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync, C:\Users\username\App Data\Local\Temp, and so forth.

Now, if you're simply wanting to keep your documents, pictures, music, etc in sync across devices, it would be more advisable to sync each of these folders individually, rather than your entire user profile folder.

• 1 year later...

I transferred my documents folder to two devices.  All the contents appeared in a folder of the same name in a Bittorrent Sync folder, but they are dimmed and contain no data.  I can only access these files if the master computer is accessible on my lan.  Is this the same problem you have been discussing?