Sync1.3: Md5 Hashes Differ After Sync

jfitie

Since updating to 1.3, I've seen files with a wrong md5 hash on my Android devices, mainly my 512MB TrueCrypt container after some small changes (yes, cleanly unmounted). This did not happen with the previous version. My setup: 4x Android, 1x NAS, 2x Win7, 1x OSX, 1x iOS.

jfitie,

Most likely your volume file was not synced at all. TrueCrypt does not change file size or mtime due to security reasons, that's why BTSync cannot actually detect that file was changed.

There is a setting in TrueCrypt which forces to adjust mtime every time when volume file is actually changed. Please set it and BTSync will sync TC volume with no issues.

RomanZ, thanks for your reply.

Timestamp was changed of course, I used this setting in TrueCrypt (as I did previously).

Other evidence that the file changes were synced: I watched it on Android and saw .synctemp and .syncpart files, after the TC container got reconstructed these got removed as expected.

Still, after sync MD5 is different from file on desktop. Before the change in the container they were identical.

Witnessed this on 2 seperate Android devices so far. All on 1.3.

I've been using this approach for a couple of months now and this did not happen before.

jfitie,

My suggestion is that volume was synced and after that it was changed on your PC / android again. BTSync is prohibited from renaming file .syncpart into real file name unless all the hashes are equal to the seeder(s) hashes.

Do I understand correctly that now you have TC volume file on 2 different peers and it is different (=hash is different), keeps not syncing while BTSync claims folders to by in sync?

If this is the case - I would eagerly look at your debug logs from both peers.

Hi,

the file was not changed again, and renaming the file to the real file name did succeed, as I can see the last modified date being changed.

And yes, that is correct. The TC file is on 9 devices, and I've seen an incorrect MD5 after succesful sync (so far only on 2 Androids). MD5 before sync was OK and the same on all devices.

I will try to reproduce, but that might be hard to do.

jfitie,

My suggestion is that volume was synced and after that it was changed on your PC / android again. BTSync is prohibited from renaming file .syncpart into real file name unless all the hashes are equal to the seeder(s) hashes.

Do I understand correctly that now you have TC volume file on 2 different peers and it is different (=hash is different), keeps not syncing while BTSync claims folders to by in sync?

If this is the case - I would eagerly look at your debug logs from both peers.