Syncing With The Same Machine?

scus

Edit: Seems not to be caused by using SSH tunnels. Changed title. Original Text below.

I have two NAS boxes (arm), a Laptop (ubuntu) and two PCs (win8 and debian) running BitTorrent Sync. On both the NAS boxes I have two instances of BitTorrent Sync running (two different users; WebUI Ports 8881 and 8880). At the moment the Laptop and the Windows PC are turned off.

The Debian PC is showing that the folder is completely synced to both the NAS boxes. So it seems that everything is fine. But the WebUI on the NAS boxes shows three peers. The first one is the NAS box itself (i.e. the NAS box named turing is listing a peer named turing). The second one is a local IP address, the IP of the NAS itself. The third one is the Debian PC. The other NAS box isn't showing up.

Edit 2: The NAS box (named turing) asserts that it has to upload 8GB to the two "self-peers". The Debian PC peer is completely synced.

Regards

scus

Original Post:

Hi there,

I am trying to manage several BitTorrent Sync instances via WebUI, and I am seeing strange effects.

My configuration:

NAS 1 (arm):

+ user1 instance with WebUI on port 8881

+ user2 instance with WebUI on port 8882

NAS 2 (arm):

+ user1 instance with WebUI on port 8881

+ user2 instance with WebUI on port 8882

Laptop (ubuntu)

+ user1 instance with WebUI on port 8888

When I connect to NAS 2 (on a remote site) via SSH tunnel (ssh <ipaddr> -L 8881:localhost:8881), it seems like the WebUI of NAS 2 is mixing things up with the WebUI on my local laptop. Same when I managed NAS 1, then connecting to NAS 2 (both via the ssh command above). For example NAS 2 pretends, that it is syncing with itself.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Best regards,

scus

Scus,

If you are running 2 instances of BTSync on a single PC, I would advise the following:

1) Make sure that you have different listening ports

2) Make sure that your 2 instances have different storage path

3) Make sure they are configured over config, not WebUI. In general, for such setup disable webUI (it stores some data in cookies, so it might conflict if you have multiple instances on one PC)

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

@d9nut: Disabling the tracker search helps. But as soon as I reactivate this option, the old behavior is back... I would prefer to use tracker servers, since some of my peers don't have fixed IPs/Domain names...

@RomanZ: 1), 2) are fulfilled. I will try 3). Is there a way to see connected peers/progress when the WebUI is disabled? I have an API key.