Read Only File Deletion Question

piotrnik

I've been tinkering a bit with BTSync as an alternative to a hamachi/synctoy combo that I currently have going, and I have a question about the read-only mode that I've not been able to find the answer to in any of the FAQs.  

I will be having this scenario:

My computer as a file server syncs via read-only secret to my sister's computer in another location. The principle items shared will be family pictures.  

Since my sister will be not needing pictures from every family member, she is planning to delete ones she doesn't need.  I know that BTSync will not automatically re-sync the deleted items (unless the option is selected), so that should be fine.  

The question arises if she wants some of the deleted folders at a later time. I haven't been able to find a way to do that without either renaming or modifying the main folder on my side (which will cause a resync with all other computers) or enabling the option to force a sync (which will cause a resync for all the other files she's deleted).  

Is there a way to re-enable only some previously-deleted files for syncing? I did some testing and checked the .syncignore file, and the previously deleted items aren't listed there, so I'm not sure if they are listed somewhere in a way that could be changed (to allow only certain previously-deleted folders/files to be resynched).  

Another possible option that would be nice is a metadata or file tree option (like on utorrent) that allows selecting of files/folders to sync (I've seen it mentioned in the wishlist, but it's certainly not a necessity).  

Any ideas?

piotrnik,

The feature you are looking for (Selective Sync) is now only available for mobile platforms. On PC you have only one option to restore deleted folder - tell BTSync to re-sync all the data, which will force you either to delete all unnecessary folders again - or add them to .syncignore manually.

thanks for the quick responses! it's not a killer issue, but could make BTSync easier to use :)

piotrnik, please add it to the Wishlist.

added as requested - http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/8620-wishlist/page-51#entry81629

piotrnik,

The .SyncIgnore file can be edited manually.

Yes, but the previously-deleted files aren't listed in there from what I could tell; only the default items and others I personally added.  If previously-deleted files were just listed there, then it would be simple to re-enable syncing of a previously-deleted file.

(if I understand right, you would just delete the line for the folder/file in the .syncignore, save the changes, and then after saving, the changes would be detected and the sync start. Is that right?)

Yes, but the previously-deleted files aren't listed in there from what I could tell; only the default items and others I personally added. 

Correct.

if I understand right, you would just delete the line for the folder/file in the .syncignore, save the changes, and then after saving, the changes would be detected

Right.